1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st Estimate on Gen 3 EPA rating...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DeadPhish, Dec 31, 2008.

1. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So now we are within 2 weeks of the debut. The PriusTeam has been teasing us for the last 13 weeks so let's do some of our own. At the unveiling there will still be a lot to discover.

EPA Ratings, ICE size, price levels, volumes/availability

1.) On the EPA rating I will go out on a short limb and state that I'd expect it to come in at 52 mpg ( 1.92 gpc ). If you are currently getting 48 mpg on an annual basis then you can expect to get 52-55 mpg or somewhat higher. Acheiving 55 mpg annually with your Gen 2? Hello 60+ mpg!

Most drivers can exceed the recently reduced EPA values by about 10%.

2.) Since there is definite information on both engine sizes :eek:, the 1.6 1ZR and the 1.8L 2ZR, I'll pass on a guesstimate.

3.) Price levels. Ouch!! Before the Yen / USD went off the reservation I'd have guessed little or no price change from the current 2009 MY prices. For the basic models, maybe without ALL the new toys MSRPs of $24000-$25000 seemed right. With ALL the new Prius Toys I would have estimated the top trim to be in the $30000+ range. But that's all changed.

At 90 Y/USD vs 105-110 these past 5 yrs those $24000-$30000 prices might look like $27000 - $35000.

4) Availability. Ouch Ouch. 90 Y/USD again. If you want to play then you have to pay. If it looks like 90 Y/USD is going to stay long term then we have to expect the prices on the imported units to be in the high $20K range ... or .... Europe and the rest of the world gets 'our' units. Europe's prices are already far far higher than in NA and hybrids are finally beginning to break the diesel stranglehold there, am I right SPWOLF?

Simple business decision. If the demand in Europe and the rest of the world for the Prius is growing at no currency penalty while the US market sees a 10-15% currency penalty or a price jump/reduced demand then units may be directed away from NA.

We need Tupelo to get onstream as fast as possible.