1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st oil change!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by homerj742, Aug 14, 2007.

1. homerj742

homerj742 New Member

I'm at about 35550 miles and I'm ready for my first Oil change/tire rotation.

Few questions
    1) Any specifications as far as oil? tires?

2) Any other things to look for at this point in the car's life? I purchased it used...

2. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    >I'm at about 35550 miles and I'm ready for my first Oil change/tire rotation.

sure. you really waited 35 THOUSAND miles without changing the oil?

find your owner's manual, look up the maintenance schedule.
    you're supposed to change the oil how often?

this is hopefully a typo, you misplaced a decimal point, right?

if you're serious, the recommendation is follow the manual, and change it every 5000 miles.
    i'd even suggest 8-10,000 is probably ok.
    but 35,000?

this isn't april 1 is it? sorry for being so sarcastic, but if you're for real, waiting this long is asking for an engine failure.

captain, my engines!! my poor engines!!!!

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    *sigh*
    The OP bought a USED Prius.
    This is HIS first oil change, NOT the car's!!

Hi. Welcome to Prius chat.
    Did your Prius come with the owner's manual, and the maintenance passport? Hopefully the previous owner left some record of what he/she did to the car.
    Anyway, rotate the tires front to back, don't cross them over unless you KNOW that they aren't directional tires (the OEM tires are, and lots of the better tires are).
    Oil. Use a decent brand of dino oil or use synthetic, like Mobil 1. Buy a good quality oil filter, DO NOT USE FRAM. Expect to spend a few bucks. It's okay, this is an important part. Oh, and you will need crush washers (one of them, but they come in multiple packages) for the oil plug.

The Prius takes about 3.5 quarts of oil. That's all. Trust me. Check the dipstick, then check it again! Do not overfill.

The owner's manual will have the oil weight. I don't trust my memory, and rather than me look it up using "Search", I'll leave that to you :D.

Have fun!

4. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

5. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I change my oil every 35,000!

of course i use amsoil 2000 full synthetic with their filter and then change the filter half way through! 115,000 miles and on my third tank of amsoil!

runs great and no mileage change over most of the cars life. (besides the 5k break-in)

6. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "Anyway, rotate the tires front to back, don't cross them over unless you KNOW that they aren't directional tires (the OEM tires are, and lots of the better tires are)."

I should have paid attention when I had my tires rotated in all these years, I assumed they were always "crossed over" until someone mentioned to me the other day, that you do only front to back or back to front, okay, what did I know?
    So, today I am having my daughter's BF install my mud guards and I thought once the wheels are off, he can rotate the tires as well, using two jacks of course, to lift the one side up. I would prefer the cross-over instead, but that would be impossible with two jacks. So, my question is...is the Goodyears TT's a good enough tire to do the cross-over with? And if it is, then of course, I would go to the tire place and have them do it, its free.

7. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "The Prius takes about 3.5 quarts of oil. That's all. Trust me. Check the dipstick, then check it again! Do not overfill."

I just had my second oil change done, both at the dealership. (8900 miles now). The invoice reads....5Q of oil @$1.75 = $8.75. Curious here....did they only do 3.5 quarts and charged me for 5? or ....they overfilled? Why would a certified mechanic do that? What problems would be caused by this?

8. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After reading this post on how much oil should be used during the oil/filter change and seeing that my invoice showed that I was charged for 5 quarts.... and checking the oil capacity in the manual - 3.7 with filter and 3.4 without filter....wanted to find out for myself what is going on. I went and check the dipstick and sure enough it was passed the filled section. Checked it twice to make sure.
    Called the dealership up, spoke to the "service advisor". She tells me that it will always show up on the invoice as 5Q regardless if that much was used or not. Its a flat fee for the service, a standard invoice. Then, after coming back from the service area, she tells me that they fill it the proper amount, and if the light goes on showing that it is low on oil, then they will add more, until the light is off because...the Prius is a very sensitive machine, that the oil has to reach a certain point for the light not to go on. Then I tell her that I checked my car, and it shows an overfill on the dipstick. She tells me not to worry about it, as long as the cap is on tight, there should be no problems, yet....if I feel uneasy about it, I can bring the car back and they will adjust the oil amount - take some out.
    So, my question is....is there a possible problem with having an overfill? or should I trust my dealership when they say that there is no problem? Should I have taped this conversation in case there is a problem?
    Who really knows? Who can help me out on this?

Moved this to start a "new topic"

9. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 15 2007, 07:57 AM) [snapback]496049[/snapback]</div>
    If it was anything like the virgin oil analysis of my dealer oil, most likely.