1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st post 1st prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by red07gen2, Apr 22, 2015.

1. red07gen2

red07gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hello, I'm James .....and I'm a prius driver (stated in my best AA voice)

That was my attempt at humor......

I was one of those guys, I made fun of the prius, cursed the drivers for not leaving the line in a trail of burning rubber and smoke, etc etc. But now I have my 1st Prius .....
    I own and have built my truck, 08 xterra lifted 33" tires loud exhaust, lots of lights, 4wd, 300plus HP, all steel bumpers front and rear, but you get the idea.
    But we (myself and the wife) have done a bit of a life change and adopted a wonderful little girl from foster care and for the last year we have been running all over the 5+ county area for meetings, training, extra-curricular activity, sports, horse riding , therapy , etc.
    And my 15 mph beast was burning a hole in my pocket and the floor under it ...
    Now I had a motorcycle that I used to offset the cost of most of the trips I had to take to places , even had a sidecar for costco runs and the extra preteen addition tot he family , but "it's raining, or it's cold" I was the only one riding this thing ....So I started researching cars and of course the best MPH in used cars is the toyota prius ....Now I didnt like the car ...actually I hated prius and their drivers most of the time , but efficiency and MPG's especially with todays gas prices won the war........So posted up the motorcycle on the old interweb and waited for a hit . And with summer just around the corner it didnt take long ......Now guys...and girls that was a sad and hard moment when you see another person load up your motorcycle onto their trailer and drive off knowing that it will never return......(sigh)
    So I took the money from the deal and started looking for the next DAD TAXI.....
    and found a yoto dealer with one that fit the bill....2007 red touring edition with 180K on the clock

So I took her home and have been putting miles on it for the last 2 days
    about 100 a day, and da*n .....I love this car ...ok ok the MPG's are great almost 3x what he truck gets but it is really a blast to drive ....and now I get to be one of those darn prius drivers ....
    I am just a walking ironies....and my wife loves to point it out
    I am a redneck but dont eat meat
    I LOVE to go 4wheeling but drive a prius
    I carry a gun but shop at whole foods
    stuff like that ...........So bottom line is this little car is awesome....and I like driving it alot ....it is the new daily commuter and errant runner ......BTW i got to sneak up on my first pedestrian in the parking lot and followed them to their car and they never knew i was there cooool ...
    this was not meant to be offensive in any way just trying to throw an interesting into slash 1st post on the forum ...
    Ya'll have already been a big help before I even bought the car on things to look for and listen for while trying to buy a used prius .....So thank you already for the help and hope to contribute as much as I can .....
    73's

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome, and congrats on both of your new additions!(y)

reminds me of the commercial, where the guy is washing his sports car in the driveway, a minivan drives by and he says to his wife, 'we're never getting one of those'. then she tells him she's pregnant.:p

3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    At least when one of those rednecks in a pickup passes you curses and brandishes a gun you can brandish back, should be an interesting scenario.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds more like l.a.:p

5. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome!

I remember thinking the Gen 2 looked rediculous, and came from a 4wd background as well (still have the '85, straight-axle 4runner with crawler gears and a Lock-Right). I've had the '07 Pri since new though and wouldn't trade it for anything. It'll even get off the beaten path some if you pick the lines carefully, and it sure handles the washboard county roads much better. In the '85, it's "hold onto your kidneys and pray that the axles stay under the frame".

How'd you get that many ponies under the X?

Sounds like you're a ragchewer or brass-pounder too. The Prius makes a great Field Day power supply.

#5 tanglefoot, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  6. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny, as I was just like that also but with nice sedans and full size trucks and now am on my second Prius since my work commute tripled and running my daughter around to different hockey rinks. I however still have my sports sedans, one of them being a BMW 5 series which is a whole different driving enjoyment. I also like driving the little, funny looking car I used to make fun of. You are not alone!
    TomK

Data Daedalus likes this.
  7. Melchior

Melchior Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a common story. I bought my first Prius a couple of weeks ago after having owned normal cars for 15 years. My usual choice was cheap cheap cheap bangernomics stuff for the last few years, before that in my 20's I had a pretty quick Rover 420 turbo. Prius? Get out. They are for tree huggers.

Not anymore - for several reasons I realised that the Prius makes great sense. I went and sat in a couple and didn't really feel much love for them but when I drove along in silence on a test drive I was sold. It is so relaxing to drive (never had an auto gearbox before) quiet, modern. Welcome to the group, there are some great folks on here who can help with any problem you might have - although it seems the P is hugely reliable so that might not be an issue!

p.s. HUGE respect to you and your wife for adopting. A very honourable thing to do.

Data Daedalus likes this.