1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st post, 1st tank, 52mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by xanmato, Jun 19, 2007.

1. xanmato

xanmato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello, everybody.

I just purchased a new 07 Prius #2 about a week ago, but have been lurking these forums for quite a while since I've found it as a great place for information. Now that I have a Prius myself, I figured I should join in on the fun. My previous car was a heavily modded chrysler sebring that got a nice 14mpg, so the difference is amazing.

Anyways, I just burned off my first tank, almost, I was getting scared when I reached 2 pips so I filled it up and laughed when I read I only used 8 gallons for 400 miles. The MFD says I got just under 52mpg, I know I can do much better, especially after my urges to launch and see how quick it is.

So, when am I supposed to fill up? 1 pip, 2 pips, 0 pips? I thought I was getting close but I guess there was another 3 gallons in there!

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xanmato @ Jun 19 2007, 09:18 PM) [snapback]464970[/snapback]</div>
    Congrats on your new Prius! You're in for lots of fun. And that was a darn good first tank, too.

As for when to fill up, 2 pips is as good a time as any. When you get down to 1 pip, you should definitely do it. The gauge is notoriously iffy. Do a search for "guess gauge" and you'll see what I mean.

Happy gliding!

3. likesmpg

likesmpg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats... that's just about what my first tank was too (53.9). Then it went to 58.5, 66.4, and currently 63.1, just keeps getting better! As for adding fuel... I wait until the last pip blinks and it says ADD FUEL, but based on a lot of posts here that seems a little risky. However I am only 15 miles from work and there are about 1300 gas stations along the way so I should be good. Glad to hear you switched over from a gas guzzler! Thank you!

4. uncool

uncool New Member

Congrats on that first fill up. My first was 47.2. Havent matched that yet. Last few tanks have been in the 45 area. As low as 38 in the winter.

5. kdk84

kdk84 New Member

Nice first tank, my first was 54mpg but I filled up at half tank. As to when you should fill up is really personal preference. I have taken it down to a blinking pip before and filled up at half tank, it just depends. I wouldn't worry too much about when you fill up since you can keep track of your averages. Although it is fun at times to take it down to a blinking pip to see how many raw miles you can squeeze out of a tank!