1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st Prius- how'd I do?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by linus, Dec 16, 2010.

1. linus

linus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    So I'll try my best to get my post in the right place, but all apologies if I happened into the wrong spot.

I just registered here, but I've been digging like crazy around here doing research before my Prius purchase today. Did the same thing before my Tundra, motorcycles, etc. purchases on respective forums, and was glad to find this one- thanks for the info.

My research led me to a used 2007 (package #2?) w/ 84k for ~$9k, but the lack of service records and a history of Jiffy Lube oil changes scared me away. So I ended up at a dealer, but I'd like to think I still got a good deal. I'm not sure if its kosher to post all the gruesome details, but I'm curious for everyone's thoughts... Did I pay too much? (not that it really matters since I'm not taking it back...)

I happened upon a 2008 Touring model, white, with 69k mi, package #6. The additions on this which I didn't see in the package list are 16" dark gray Toyota premium wheels and aftermarket tint. The carfax showed a diligent dealership service history with oil changes every 3K, and most scheduled maint. Its Toyota Certified Used, so I guess I get 3mo/3K coverage, plus the remainder of the original 7yr/100k powertrain. The dealership dropped the price on their 'wrap-around' extended warranty, so I went for the Platinum plan for $500- extending my 'full' coverage to 100k. And from what I read, it sounds like the hybrid batt system is covered to 100k anyway. Probably not necessary, but anyway... walked away with that for $12,900 + tax/lic.. I kinda think someone screwed up when they put the window sticker in this one.

The only bummers so far- I think a few of the JBL speakers are blown (they sound too raspy and too much static). And when I pulled out the center console to clean the nooks and crannies, I also scored a bit of doobie that had fallen through the cracks. Needless to say, I'm not too fond of the previous owner who owned it for less than 10k. It appears the original owner took immaculate care for the first 60k, then it was someone's joyride for the last 10.

So, whatay'all think? (aside from wasting money on the extended warranty)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like it, sounds like you got a great deal! i wouldn't worry about the last owner, you could do a lot worse than the doobie bros.!:D:welcome:

1 person likes this.
  3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I paid $24000 for my 09 Touring w/ 10k miles 1.5 year ago. I'd say you did great.

Now mod that sucka.

1 person likes this.
  4. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    "16" dark gray Toyota premium wheels " were standard on the Touring. On the West Coast the Touring option only came with "everything" adding over $5,000 to the Prius cost.

1 person likes this.
  5. linus

linus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hmmm, interesting. Forgot to mention it has the rear spoiler too, so I guess that was all part of the package since it was originally a CA car.

Didn't even think of it 'til now, but since it was originally sold in CA I'm wondering if the extended hybrid warranty (150k?) for CARB states (1) applies to this car and (2) transfers to me. ??

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they all have a spoiler.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yea, but I think he's talking about the touring version's spoiler, which juts out an extra 1.85 inches longer or so. I've been trying to score one of those from a salvage yard for Pat Sparks for about a year & a half now. It's a good look, and subtle ... wheel design being the most noticeable.
    Anyway ... WELCOME!