1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st Road Trip... Tires? What Do I Need?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GreenCleaner, Aug 28, 2008.

1. GreenCleaner

GreenCleaner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 Prius. When I purchased the used car a few months ago the tires had some wear on them. The thread is there but I know there will be a need for new tires soon. These are the factory tires.

I'm driving from Chicago to Atlanta this weekend with 2 other adults. One happens to be 6 feet and will be in the backseat. Any stories about tall passengers?

What is the BEST under $15-20 range to check my PSI on my tires? What is the recommended pressure for road trips?

My car JUST hit 50,000 miles and I had an oil change 2 months ago. I purchased the car at ~43k miles. Is there anything special that needs to be done before we hit the road? I've always rented cars to drive out of town so anything outside of tire and oil change was the only most important factors to me. So forgive me for not knowing if I am missing something that is common.

Any recommendations on using the IPOD in a 2004? I never got the chance to purchase DICE.

Any other tips or recommendation on helping fuel is helpful!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you buy a digital tire pressure gauge from your local discount auto parts store, which should fit within the budget that you established. Also suggest you use 42/40 psi front/rear cold tire pressure at all times, not just for your road trip.

If you have time to buy new tires prior to your road trip, that would be wise to do, so that you don't have trouble with your tires during your trip. If you really have the original equipment tires installed, they must be close to bald by now.

I further suggest that you check the engine air filter and cabin air filter and replace them if dirty. Regarding the engine air filter which is located within the large black rectangular box on top of the engine, the criteria to establish that it is dirty is that you hold it up to the sun and do not see light passing through. (The dirty side of the filter is on the bottom.)

Regarding the cabin air filter, the criteria is how dirty you can stand to see the filter, realizing that you and your passengers are breathing through it. That filter is located behind the glove box.

Finally I suggest that you check the engine and inverter coolant levels (top off with Toyota Super Long Life Coolant if needed), and the brake fluid level (use DOT 3 fluid if needed); and ensure that all body lights are working before you start your trip.

Enjoy your trip!

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Amazon sells digital tire gauges also.

4. Silver 2008

Silver 2008 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am assuming you are asking about tire gauges.

The one you want to get is the ACCUTIRE. They make two. You want the cheaper one that is sort of flat. The more expensive one is more round like a fat screwdriver handle. Get the flat one. I got mine for 10 bucks at Target.

Consumer Reports rated gauges a few years ago, and the ACCUTIRE was the most accurate. And... it's pretty inexpensive.

The only tip I have to save fuel is... go as slow as you can stand. At 65 you will do a lot better than at 75 or 80.

Mike