1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st Scratch?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lumpy95, Feb 22, 2008.

1. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was backing into my garage and the small handle from my rototiller evidently rubbed on the lower right quarter. :hurt:
    Opinions please on the way to fix this. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From the picture it looks like some black marks and 2 scratches.

So I would clean off the black marks (soap, wax, compound or scratch remover).

For the 2 scratches I would use either:

(i) Brush-on Touch Up Paint;

(ii) Pen Touch Up Paint; or

(iii) Sharpie (or its art supplies store/artist cousin, Prismacolor) in a matching color -- you'll probably have to go to a good art supplies store to find a proper color match.

Brush-on touch up paint is goopy, and the pen touch up paint is runny, so you'll have to sand lightly or use wax, compound or scratch remover to smooth it out if you want.

Personally, for most scratches of the paint, especially small or fine ones on the bumper covers, I like using a Sharpie or Prismacolor in a matching color. They're cheap, effective, easy to use and precise (not goopy or runny like touch up paint).

3. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    :hurt:
    i got one... lear how to backup! lol! im just kidding :D ... thought it seemed funny.. but yea try some of those cleaner products, scratch removers, and finally some good wax.. the other day i was washing mine, and after spending like 5 hours washing and detailing it, when i grabebd the water bucket i TOUCHED the door and it left a white line. OMG NOOOOO! :hurt: .... finnally after 2 more hours of waxing that tiny spot, it faded most of it and can barely notice it now.

4. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You have three choices depending on how good a job you want, and how much money you have.

1. You want it perfect. Brand new: Take it to a professional.

2. You just want to cover it up, and don't care that it is uneven and clearly repaired: Touch up paint.

3. You want it as close to new as you can, are willing to spend some time and effort, and not quite as expensive as number one: Get one of these paint repair kits, that include stuff to prepare the surface, paint, and remove the blobs and edges that make the repair visible. You may even get it perfect.

5. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks to all for the replys.
    It looks like the dark substance in the pic is red, which is the color of the handle that scraped against it.
    I guess I will take it to a professional to get an estimate. I am hoping that it can just be rubbed out.:yield:

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not try to wash and compound it out yourself?

7. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've never attempted it before (using the compound). What do I get and what is the procedure?
    I guess if I screw it up, I can have someone fix it, LOL.:)

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Just go down to any auto parts supply store (Craigen Chief PepBoys, etc) or even Wall mart auto. Ask for car wax with rubbing compound. I'll bet you 50 cents it'll take it right out. I've had skuffs that bad. No problem.
    Now when your roll up garage door hinges (that you parked too close to) dig a trench in that tupperware-type rubber bumper material, from the top to the bottom of the bumper ... THEN your fix is going to look ugly. I'll spare you the ghastly photos.
    :Cry:

9. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks.
    I'll go look for some tomorrow :pray:. As to your experience, OUCH :jaw:

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I vote for ScratchX and Toyota's paint pen. A Q-tip wetted with rubbing alcohol seems to help the blending. Using a clay bar may be enough to take it out. You may want to affix the black rubber strip across the bumpers.

11. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1- What is ScratchX, ie. a rubbing compound, wax, etc.?
    2- I assume that the "Toyota paint pen" is a dealer item, correct?
    3- I've thought about purchasing the black rubber piece that goes on the bumper under the hatch. I see it advertised in the PC store so I will get one soon.

12. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Went to Walmart today and bought the Meguiars clay bar kit. I also bought thier GOLD wax.
    Weather permitting, maybe I will try the clay bar next week.
    Any advice on using it would be appreciated since I have never done it before.:hail:

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See this How to Clay Bar video:

Or this one (in two parts):

Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detail Supplies - Clay Bar Part 1

I've personally never used clay bar before so I don't know if it will remove those black and red marks on your car. If it doesn't, I think you'll have to try wax, scratch remover or compound -- products with varying degrees of abrasives in it (in this regard, note that compound is the most abrasive -- so if you use compound you have to be careful not to overdo it or you'll end up with visible scuffing/scratching of your clear coat and maybe your paint).

Good luck. Keep us posted.

14. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the video. It looks easy enough but you may be right in the respect that it may not remove all the paint marks or scratches if there actually are any. It's really hard to tell what all is damaged but I do know that there is red paint from the handle there. My eyes aren't so good anymore either, LOL. :eek:
    Theres a large storm headed in for tonight thru Tues. so I will probably wait until all that is over before I get serious about my attempts.