1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st tank hit 53.1 mpg, HAPPY!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mschrank, May 9, 2007.

1. mschrank

mschrank New Member

Just fueled my Red 07 Touring, pkg 6 for the 1st time. 13 days old.

Was down to 1/4 tank. 430 miles. Mileage had been climbing
    continually, using Pluse & Glide as needed and reached 53.1 mpg when I stopped at Shell this AM.

Couldn't be happier! Just gave her a coat of wax. She's gleaming in the Colorado sun.

Question. Taking trip to Wisconsin end of May. Probably take I-80 most of way. Should I be concerned?
    ie What if Prius breaks down? My wife is worried no one could fix if not near a Toyota shop. Thoughts.

MHS

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mhs @ May 9 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]438373[/snapback]</div>
    I'd suspect the odds of it breaking down are practially nil. Granted, if you had problems near a small town, you might have trouble finding a mechanic to handle it. My Prius has 47k miles on it. I certainly wouldn't be afraid to drive it completely across the country. In fact, next Christmas I plan on driving from Washington (state) to Florida and back. However, I will have on new tires by then.

Dave M.

3. mschrank

mschrank New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ May 9 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]438447[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for response. I agree with you that it is highly unlikely for a new Prius to need repairs.
    To be safe I'm trying to put about 1,000 miles on her before the trip, thinking 'if' anything were wrong from factory, that it would show up sooner than later.

Sure love this car.
    It replaced a 2,000 Chrysler 300M, which was a very good vehicle w/52,000 miles. Didn't want to press my luck beyond that as I've had Chryslers & GM products that would start going south after 50m. So after much consideration went for Prius Touring. What a fine piece of technology!

MHS

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! I only got a tank like that once. :)

I do seem to be having an easier time staying about 48mpg now that the temps came up and if I could stop driving after the temps drop below 60deg I'm sure 50+mpg is doable.

5. kdk84

kdk84 New Member

congrats on the 50+ tank.

As a new prius owner myself (bought one roughly 3 weeks ago) my first tank I took down to half way and averaged 55.8 MFD MPG and today I just took a 184 mile trip on a fresh tank of gas and averaged 58.7 MFD MPG!! My car only has 407 miles on it so I'm hoping that once it is more "broken in" I'll reach a 60 MPG tank!

This car is absolutely crazy! haha it's great.

6. mschrank

mschrank New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdk84 @ May 9 2007, 05:30 PM) [snapback]438679[/snapback]</div>
    It's so neat to see mpg continue to improve as Prius breaks in. It is fun!

FYI. I ordered and had body shop install side mouldings, look great (just like factory) and add some protection. Just thought I'd mention. Prius Chat Accessories.

MHS

7. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    we went from indiana to california and back and plan on doing it again this summer...not a bit of problem...
    after 60000miles...no problems...so i wont worry about alledged breakdowns...its a lot more reliable than any thing else ive owned over the last 30 years...

8. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wb9tyj @ May 9 2007, 10:43 PM) [snapback]438770[/snapback]</div>

Are people posting the computed mpg? If so my first tank was only 47.4 :(

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ May 9 2007, 10:23 PM) [snapback]438864[/snapback]</div>
    No, generally you want to stick with the MFD. The gas tank expanding and contracting can mess with your head too much. ;) Some use both methods and average them out in the long run.

47mpg is pretty normal or at least it used to be until the last couple days where new posts are popping up everywhere with 50+mpg averages. They may also be driving on a lot of rural roads or inner city which can net some pretty nice numbers. Mainly freeway driving seems to hurt my milage.

Summertime heat and gas formulas may be helping out a bunch in a lot of these cases. I know once temps get over 65deg or so my milage shoots way up.

10. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mhs @ May 9 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]438373[/snapback]</div>
    Just make sure to pump up your tires a little bit more than you normally do.

Wayne

11. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ May 10 2007, 01:23 AM) [snapback]438864[/snapback]</div>
    I calculate it both ways and in most cases the MFD is higher due to the 'bladder' in your gas tank messing with the actual fuel consumed. I know its been posted by those in the 'know' around here that overall the MFD is very accurate in its postings of your FE.

12. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ May 9 2007, 10:23 PM) [snapback]438864[/snapback]</div>
    Don't feel bad. My first tank was more like 45 mpg. I don't remember now. My first long trip. WA to CA was more like 50 mpg though. But I purposely went the coast route to avoid higher speeds. And this was in August '05.

Dave M.