1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st Toyota, 1st Hybrid, Red Triangle 1st day

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Dancin, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Dancin

Dancin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone, so today bought my first toyota, and by stupidity or trust didnt inspect very well :(

So after like 30 miles i got the famous red triangle :/
    When triangle comes out, the fan from behind seats go always on, but battery charges and drives normally (i guess after 30miles)
    after some more time (probably random time) the battery is totally disconnected from the system (limp mode you call?) petrol engine goes revs go up 1550-1650 and stay in this range, and well the driving is like emergency one. after cleaning faults, and restarting car runs normally for 5 minutes, sometime for 30minutes, random.
    Fault codes we could read are:
    P0A9C temperature sensor A hybrid battery
    P3014
    P3016
    P3019

With connected pc, to check sensors, we started at
    Sensor A @ 17 C
    Sensor B @ 21 C
    Sensor C @ 20 C
    And sensor A was always behind others two about 25 when B and C near or slighty abvoe 30.

Sorry for language mistakes, trying to concentrate on explaining problems in first place and english is not my native. Im tired after today i will go to sleep becouse have alarm in 6hours so can spend weekend in garage. The weather is cold here, near -20C last and todays night, also noticed that probably hybrid battery was removed before, but not sure. also not original taping near 12v bat. I will post any additional information if needed
    Prius 2006-11
    odo 188k km, but doubt its real

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry, doesn't sound good at all . . . (n)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! i would start by cleaning the battery cooling fan. see you tube video's.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have a bad hybrid battery

5. Dancin

Dancin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So which way should i go?
    A) [​IMG]

B) [​IMG]

and point me to the threads or external info i should know/read

6. ILuvMyPriusToo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. Dancin

Dancin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cant it be just oxidated contacts between cells or similiar? Also does all those cells from lexus or prius 3 are same?

8. ILuvMyPriusToo

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are numerous threads on this site that describe the process of evaluating, reconditioning or replacing cells and entire batteries for different models, and they will readily come up using the search tool. Good luck with your project!

9. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Woah, man! I thought for a second there was a battery refurbisher in Ireland of all places. Anyways by the looks of it, B) is just a scrap yard, advertising cars for parts and breaking before the cutter's torch or whatever. I wouldn't have confidence that they would test it, balance it or keep it in good condition. Hell! I can't even trust the drivers around Kilcock! :D

If there's hope that the whole back won't be let down by one really out of shape cell, top ad bottom balancing it would be my way to go. If its too late to revive it, replacing faulty modules would be a sound bet.

We've all became aware of this from GCR about a Camry Hybrid. I'm not aware if the Prius was more prone to this. Would the weather and salt on the roads in Lithuania provoke this? Anyways, if you're going to do it the old fashioned way and have a look at replacing the modules, there's no point in not cleaning the copper bars.

Aside from taking a look at the pack itself, I hope someone would know of a way of testing in distinguishing between a weak pack or from high resistance readings from delta voltages and all that stuff dirty copper contacts would cause.

Just for me, deconstructing the pack is beyond my comfort zone. But if you got the right idea, instruction and place to do it, have at it! Keep us posted! (y)

#10 offib, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  11. Dancin

Dancin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for abandoning thread. Cleaning contacts helped for 12000km, now weather is +6 very rainy. Now i started to get P3012 every morning, after fault code cleaning and some driving everythink was fine. But now its throwing that code very often even when driving.
    The good thing, after first cleaning we changed block 4 with block 2, so p3014 that was first time is now a problem i understand. Will keep you posted, becouse now im more relaxated than getting those errors first time ;)

offib likes this.
  12. Dancin

Dancin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, heres my plan (can be changed) Open for advices :)

1. Tommorow scraping the car and changing the bad module to get car running.
    2. Looking for battery from salvaged newer prius, prius plus or auris.
    3. To check health of newly purchased battery recondition every module, so be sure i have 28good pcs when battery fails again.
    In my opinion its best quality/price ratio repair solution for me.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a plan, all the best!(y)