1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 04's and 2 key fobs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny13pruisc3, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Danny13pruisc3

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have techstream. My buddy and I both have 04's.

Can I use techstream for both us to link each other's fobs to each others cars so that we each have a backup fob to operate our cars if either of us lose one?

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It depends. A fob has 3 "parts". First is the removable mechanical key- that's almost certain to be different between the two cars. Second is the immobilizer transponder- that's a rfid chip in the fob case that works in the dash slot. You can use techstream to add each fob to the other's transponder ecu (so long as you don't exceed the max number of keys- each can have 5 in memory- may need to erase some). If you do that and have a spare mechical key made to unlock the door, then you can start & drive the car.
    Last is the keyless entry part- the piece with the buttons and needs a battery. IF both cars are not SKS (fobs have black toyota logo on back and no black button on outside front door handle or on tailgate), then I believe you can just add each other's remote fob per the service manual procedure.
    If one car is SKS (silver logo on fob with buttons on car) and one isn't, then there is no way to make keyless remote functions work.
    If both cars are SKS then you CAN add each other's fobs, but you need to go to a questionable website and buy tokens to use a toyota "seed code calculator" there to access the smart key ecu and add used SKS fobs to a car.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.