1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2/3 of Americans: buying fuel efficient car patriotic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by prius04, Mar 21, 2005.

1. prius04

prius04 New Member

Here is the start of the article:
    40MPG.ORG Poll: 2 Out OF 3 Americans See Buying More Fuel-Efficient Vehicle as "Patriotic," High Gas Prices Already Driving Half To Do So

"DETROIT, MI.///March 17, 2005/// Faced with steadily rising prices at the gas pump, two out of three Americans now agree that it is patriotic to buy a fuel efficient vehicle that uses less gasoline and, therefore, requires this country to import less oil from the Middle East, according to a new Opinion Research Corp. national opinion poll released today to launch http://www.40mpg.org , which gives car owners a powerful new forum in which to tell automakers and Congress that they support a federal fuel efficiency standard of 40 miles per gallon (mpg). The 40mpg.org survey shows that three out of five conservatives (57 percent) concur that buying a more fuel-efficient vehicle is a patriotic act, as do 67 percent of those who follow NASCAR."

Full article here: http://www.40mpg.org/getinf/release.cfm

The Prius is not mentioned but hybrids are. And Americans are not happy with US Automakers.

"More than three out of five Americans (63 percent) think the "hybrid technology gap" in which U.S. automakers will fall further behind Japanese and other foreign automakers that have more fully embraced the new fuel-efficient technology – is a serious or somewhat of a problem. The extent of this concern among Americans is essentially bipartisan, including conservatives (60 percent), moderates (70 percent) and liberals (69 percent). Similarly, the concern about the hybrid technology gap is shared by 58 percent of NASCAR fans and 65 percent of car/truck/new technology enthusiasts." ..........

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, I'm your stereotypical right-wing "nutjob" and I not only drive a Prius, I *love* my Prius. I refuse to p*** away huge sums of money on a vehicle, and huge long-term sums of money to operate it.

I also was looking for a car with a good safety rating, thoracic airbags, and head curtain airbags. The Prius certainly scores near the top in crash test ratings - according to the Euro NCAP offset test - and the tops for fuel economy in its class.

Ironically, the price of fuel will have to raise quite a bit to "offset" the higher fuel economy from new technology. Or the net effect will be to use *more* energy. This is proven by Jevons Paradox.

3. prius04

prius04 New Member

But wasn't Jevons (1835-1882) wrong?

Jevons paradox suggested that making coal use more efficent would not lead to using less coal, but to using more coal. He predicted that as that use got more efficient, more uses would be found for coal and thus he predicted an imminent economic stagnation. But he was wrong because he failed to see the value of petroleum as a replacement for most of the uses that coal had been used for.

IMHO, one of the magesties of the hybrid is all the battery research that it has resulted in. Soon there will be a plug in hybrid, then who knows, maybe the batteries will get so good that we can retire the ICE altogether.

Then we only need some really great ways to make more electricity.

And just as Jevons failed to see the future in regards to petroleum, we cannot yet see those great and safe and clean ways to make tons of electricity, or even some other energy source that we cannot fathom.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And yet this morning I saw a brand new Hummer2 rolling down the street with the temp tags. I couldn't believe it. Who in their right minds are still buying these things?

5. DanP

DanP Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer\";p=\"74450)</div>
    People "in their right minds" never bought them. Hummer owners are pathetic GI Joe wannabes with s**t for brains.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i dont know if its just because i live in a "green" state or what, but the movement is huge here. i can easily believe the 70% figure.

this area used to be a fanatic truck area with all the logging that used to go on around here, but the times they are a changin'

7. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

I met a lady Friday who was really proud of her new car of 2 weeks. I asked what she had bought and she said it was a Hyundai Santa Fe. I've seen them and they're pretty cute. Asked what the gas mileage was and she said 18 in town and 22 freeway. What could I say? If I had met her before she made the purchase maybe I could have influenced her but a mere 2 weeks after the fact? I just felt sad for her.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius04\";p=\"74404)</div>
    As far as Coal Crisis, no since there were crises caused by coal supply problems in that era. If you mean about Substitution? Then yes, because he couldn't have foreseen Petroleum replacing Coal as a superior substitution.

However, he was right wrt what we saw in the 90's, when we had strange subsidies and marginally more efficient appliances/HVAC result in the construction of homes around twice the size of a home made before 1980.

Despite the fact the average family size was much lower.

Ideally, you increase energy prices slightly higher than the average increase in appliance/HVAC efficiency, so in the end you will still pay more if you use more. Price in the form of excise taxes will "correct" obvious waste.

If you have a market where energy prices fall - like during the 90's - you then encourage all sort of binge consumption. What the h*** it's cheap so why not? That really helped the economy, but now we're paying dearly for it.

In a market where energy prices are kept high due to excise taxes - which are used to fund mass transit and other more efficient alternatives - you won't see the same sort of waste.

For example, in the EU most domestic hot water is from tankless units, so no standby losses. Here we use 40-60 gallon electric or gas tanks and the standby losses really add up.

The price of fuel is very high by our standards, and they also tier their registration and insurance fees based on emissions/weight/motor, so SUV's and pickup's are rare. Tiny 3 cylinder turbodiesel cars are common.

When you compare average energy consumption, here are some interesting facts: the United States uses around 30% more energy per capita than the EU. Canada has twice the energy use per capita then the EU.

Now that shouldn't happen, but there it is. We appear to have made our industry more efficient, but we have really lost wrt vehicles (Single occupancy pickup and SUV) and homes (Twice as big as they were 25 years ago).

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanP\";p=\"74464)</div>
    They also have s*** for brains wrt financial decisions. Have you priced an H2? The vast majority of those things are financed until the end of time.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya makes me laugh when i think of all the hummer owners who got hummers for the tax deduction...

now they will pay triple that in gas costs, have a vehicle that im willing to bet will get about 15 cents on the resale dollar...

yep, this is fun i wanna see $3!!

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    David:

Sure the depreciation will be absolutely horrific on all those giant SUV's and pickup trucks. Much like in the early 70's with large cars and performance cars.

12. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"74589)</div>
    The Jevons paradox suggests that energy efficiency encourages people to buy things they would not have bought otherwise. I doubt that very much. I think houses grew in size for thousands of reasons OTHER than some marginal improvement in efficiencies.

And China is going to have a 1/2 billion cars running around in 10 years. The demand will be there and it will be there regardless of whether the MPG is 15 or 50, or whether they pollute like a Hummer or a Prius.

The demand will be gigantic. Fuel efficiency will affect that demand only marginally.

And the whole point of the Jevons paradox is that Jevons failed to anticipate substitution. That was the whole point of my post. And that is where the Hybrid is such a great concept. As we work to make the hybrids even better, the millions of dollars spent on battery research will first result in the plug in hybrid, and then the retirement of the ICE altogether. Substituting the ICE with another energy source.

So not only are Hybrid buyers helping themselves here and now, they are helping prevent the Jevons paradox from coming true in yet another century, just like it did not come true in the last two. Hybrid buyers are helping subsidize that "substitution", and getting a great car at the same time.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius04\";p=\"74751)</div>
    No, the whole "point" of Jevon's Paradox or any other theory of Economics - eg The J Curve - is to broaden your understanding of the issues that confront those who study Economics: "How to best satisfy insatiable demand with limited resources" as an Economics professor once told me.

And Jevon was entirely correct with his analysis of the coal problem. When James Watt remodeled the steam engine (He didn't invent it of course, Thomas Newcomen is generally credited with this and is known as the "father of the industrial revolution"), the overall efficiency skyrocketed, but so did coal consumption.

When you compare electronics in the 1950's, which were mostly vacuum tube and terribly inefficient, to modern solid-state electronics, the efficiency has exponentially gained. Unfortunately, we now have so many electronic gadgets our power consumption has also increased. Maybe we can "blame" Economies of Scale for this.

You may be interested in the following discussions of Jevons Paradox:

http://www-dse.ec.unipi.it/luzzati/italian...vonsparadox.htm

http://porena.blogspot.com/2005/02/improvi...counter-to.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jevons_paradox

http://www.mnforsustain.org/erickson_dell_...e_part_IIIA.htm

When you consider that Jevon's wrote his famous work in 1865, it's eye opening that a person from that era could even conceive of such ideas. In the field of Economics, Jevon is far from discredited, if anything his message is a warning of what happens if you don't fully close the entire cycle.

As far as the Chinese, there are way more of them than us, and they have plenty of nukes. I doubt we can convince them to not only dramatically improve efficiency but also dramatically lower consumption.

14. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"74760)</div>
    Ultimately, this is exactly true, and as a way to conceptualize efficiencies versus usage versus resource extinction, Jevons does offer a great way to make sense of some of the processes going on.

And thanks for those links. I see none of them are from "canadafreepress". (That's an inside joke.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"74760)</div>
    As a matter of fact, China just enacted some CAFE standards of their own, and they are car specific and not fleet specific. They are also expected to enact some pollution regs as well. I've read where GM is not happy with this development as upwards of 80% of what GM makes would not qualify.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius04\";p=\"74765)</div>
    There is a good link to this at:

http://pubs.wri.org/pubs_content_text.cfm?...?ContentID=2433

On the one hand, since the Chinese market is almost Virgin, they might be able to pull it off. However, if demand truly skyrockets, as one might expect in a Virgin market, then it wouldn't matter if every car got 80 MPG, the overall oil useage would go way up.

That's why I really liked my Economics classes, just when you thought you had it all figured out BAM back to square one.

16. prius04

prius04 New Member

And I believe that is why hybrids offer more to the world than just fuel efficiency. "Substitution" saved us from being damned to stagnation as predicted by Jevons. And Substitution is the only hope for us today. The hybrid forces research into a potential substitution -- electricity.

Hydrogen from coal or gas or oil is not really substitution, and this is the Bush plan. The real key to hydrogen is to figure out to get hydrogen from water. That takes tons of electricity. (Can you say "tons" of electricity?)

The only way to stave off the predictions of Jevon is to find a truly renewable source for energy. Everything else is just temporary.

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    everyone if you havent already, take a look at the article in Wired magazine (link in another post) on hybrid technology.

some very sobbering stats to consider. right now there are 500 million cars on the road in regular use. by 2050 there will be an estimated 3.85 BILLION!!! when China and India is in full swing.

we need to do something and we need to start now!@!

well actually... we have. now everyone else has to get with the program. dont know if we can continue to wait for the big 3 to do something

18. DanP

DanP Member

> by 2050 there will be an estimated 3.85 BILLION!!!

Don't get too excited. A projection for 45 years into the future of human affairs is simply worthless.

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius04\";p=\"74775)</div>
    Maybe "gigawatt hours" of electricity?? Maybe Joules is better?

Our current method of obtaining hydrogen is foolish at best. If all you can do is electrolocize it from water, it's cheaper to just use electricity to run motors. Using hydrogen in gas state is remarkably inefficient. Same as catalyzing hydrogen in a fuel cell that runs on gasoline or methane.

Part of the problem is that gasoline is so convenient to use. As an example: one U.S. gallon of gasoline contains 131 Mega Joules (MJ) of energy. One kg of hydrogen contains 142 MJ of energy.

However, hydrogen stored as a gas at 2,200 psi in a common gas storage container holds 91.2 litres with an energy of 1.6 MJ/l: this is the same energy as 8.2 litres of gasoline, but you require a 91.2 litre medium-pressure gas cylinder.

An exotically expensive 10,000 psi storage tank will provide 5.3 MJ/l. Cryo storage tanks will allow 10 MJ/l and even this is far from the energy content of a litre of gasoline: 35 MJ/l.

I used to get The Industrial Physicist until they ceased publication. However this is covered in their archive:

http://www.tipmagazine.com/tip/INPHFA/vol-.../iss-1/p20.html

We really need to dream up some sort of cold-fusion source, and I'm wondering if we already haven't dreamed it up but are sitting on it. I've often wondered about this, as on the surface a cheap means of cold fusion would be Utopian, wouldn't it?

Then I think about the history of nuclear weapons.

The "Fat Man" plutonium implosion weapon dropped on Nagasaki weighed almost 11,000 lbs and had a 21 KT nominal yield. Around 8 years later the same nominal yield was obtained from "Atomic Annie" a 280mm howitzer-style gun firing a 500 lb nuclear shell. It was tested during the "Upshot Knothole" series as "Shot Grable."

The first large scale hydrogen bomb test, a design developed in part by Dr Edward Teller, was detonated in 1952. It was called the Ivy Mike Shot. It used pure liquid deuterium fuel - in a cryo state - in a device 20 ft high and almost 7 ft wide, weighing 164,000 lbs. The nominal yield was 10 MT.

The dry fuel bombs with similar yield, as packaged in the Mk 17 and Mk 24 weapon family, weighed around 39,000 lbs. By 1958, the Mk 53 version weighed around 6,100 lbs.

In theory, a similar yield from a cold fusion device could be obtained from something the size of a large Thermos.

Sure, there will eventually be a solution, if not for the reason of oil shooting past $150 a barrel. In the end, it's all about cost-benefit.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hygrogen fuel makes a lot of sense in areas where geothermal energy is available. since in all cases, only a very small percentage is used, hydrogen generating plants make sense.

Iceland has that luxury and has a goal to be a 100 % petroluem free country by 2007. an ambitious goal for sure, but they are not all that far from it now. if only they could be convinced to export some of that or find an easy way of transporting it.

would an underwater pipeline be out of the question? it is now because of the cost to build it. but all of a sudden, it looks like all other options are out of the question because of the cost, including the one we are now exercising