1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2.5 hour install of Integrated XM + Auto door lock

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by efusco, Aug 18, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went with CoastalETech's XM radio for a number of reasons, not the least of which was my desire to avoid taking apart the entire dash to do the install...and his instructions allow that. But not without pain and suffering!!

I had to stop part way through fumbling with getting that dang plug in the socket to clean up blood that had dripped on the floor mat and cable of my car and also to clean and bandage my lacerations! :cry:

Second attempt with determination not to be defeated and I managed to get the plug to snap in place without further bloodshed!

Running the cable and the rest was really a piece of cake esp. when you payed attention to the 3-4 places where it wasn't completely intuitive of exactly where/how to proceed.

While I had the kick panel off I went ahead and hooked up my auto-door lock. I don't know if I'll like it or want to keep it, but it was a gift and it's easy enough to unplug if I decide I don't want it.

My full time was 2.5 hours and that included gathering tools, removing car seats, doing the installs, replacing car seats and putting everything back together and cleaning up. I'm pretty pleased with that.

The only thing I did NOT do was uninstall my old XM Commander (FM modulated)...I didn't install it myself and am a bit anxious about removing it as I'm not sure what exactly was involved in putting it in. I know the main unit is behind the dash and they had the whole dash apart to install. I also can't quite figure out how they ran the antenna wire. I guess I'll have to go back to the install place and pay a few bucks to have them pull it out...maybe I'll have them install it in my wife's mini-van while we're at it.

Anywho....that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Also, one question for those with this system, I couldn't figure out how to tune up and down channels without using the mechanical tuning knob on the radio...isn't there some way to do so from the steering wheel or touch screen?

2. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do you like the simplicity of installing the Auto Door Lock? And how do you like it? I think Brad's is pretty cool once we got done with it.

3. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

I noticed efusco, that you made a remark about "I don't know if I'll like it" It's not like a special color or texture of something, not a specifically placed radar detector or anything... it's a door lock. In case YOU forget to lock it, it doesn't... Not really a matter of "liking it"
    Quite honestly, unless you have a "pre-flight checklist" that includes "I will make sure the doors are locked before I proceed" it's good to just have. Makes for a less scrambled reach when you see the toothless homeless guy coming toward your car when you're in it.

Just puts the mind at ease, and with as small a task as it was and how cheap the technology is, it really makes me wonder why it didn't come with it to begin with.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What I mean, Brad, is that I don't know if the 'inconvenience' of the locked doors will be more of an issue than not having the doors locked at all.

We don't live in an area that I'm worried about people pulling doors open and car Jacking us or anything. My kids are all Hermetically sealed into their car seats and can't reach the door handles from those seats so I'm not worried about them somehow opening the door and falling out. So, I don't really have a good reason to have the doors locked when I'm driving.

So now that they lock anyway how many times will I get out, close the door and try to open my kid's door only to find that I have to re-open the driver's door to hit the unlock button just to get the kids out. Likewise the hatch if I'm in a hurry to get to work or get the kids to school or whatever those daily minor inconveniences may be something I dislike much more than I like some minor theoretical safety advantage of having them automatically lock.

That's what I mean.

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nobody from http://www.directed.com has gotten back to me yet. A Rattler (etc) would auto-lock the doors if I wanted, so if they don't get back to me with a 'go' on seamlessly integrating an alarm into the Prius using the existing fob, I'll go ask the guy at Circuit City who did the Kia. If he says no, I'll think about adding the Coastal unit.

There aren't many carjackings here, either, but I'd hate to have somebody start a career with me...

6. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You need to use the mechanical nob if you want to scroll through stations.

Personally, I find the interface somewhat clunky. Even after months, I keep hitting the "sound" button instead of the "text" button whenever I want to guess an artist's name from the Toyota truncation...

Don't get me wrong--I love the radio and will probably be XM for life. Hopefully, though, the next generation versions will be easier to use!

7. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey, Evan, what you said above is a reason that I am holding back on ordering one. All, but the kids. :D When I get to school, in a hurry, I want my hatch to be unlocked for me!

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife's Ford Windstar has auto door locks, my Ford Expedition does not. Her if I manually lock all the doors on the Expedition when I shut off the engine and open the door ALL the doors unlock simultaneously. On her Windstar only the doors opened from the inside unlock. So about 1 time in 4 I forget to hit the manual door unlock button and try to open the sliding door to access the kids only to find it locked. This is apparently not a dealer modifiable feature and has caused mild though not infrequent consternation. I don't want any such consternation with my Prius. But I'll give it a try...like I said, it's easy enough to uninstall if I don't like it and I had all the pieces/parts off already.

9. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    And I'm sure there are plenty of PC members who wouldn't mind taking this off your hands :)

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I personally can't stand auto-locking cars, at least the ones that lock after you actually start moving. Something about that locking sound while I'm moving makes me feel claustraphobic and restricted. My girlfriend locks her doors as soon as she gets into it and it infuriates me :)

My MR2 auto-locks when you turn the ignition, so somehow that doesn't bother me so much :) Plus it's only 2 doors to worry about! :mrgreen:

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I may need to add some time to my duration for the install. Got to drive a bit more today than I did near midnight last night. Auto-door locks are not working, probably just need to check the connectors.

My auto-Bluetooth disable also quit working which means I my consumption bars don't show and wheels don't turn on the Energy screen as well.... must've knocked something loose in those connections while messing with the computer behind the vent cover to the right of the radio last night. Argh!

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, got the BT thing fixed, simple ground wire came loose. Checked and tightened all connections on the auto-door lock and it still doesn't work... I think I'll just leave it for now as I just don't care enought to keep unplugging that HV ECU plug and risk screwing up my EV button or doing worse than that!

13. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Evan, what I've done in order to get the most of the wheel buttons with the XM radio, is I've picked the 18 satellite stations I like the most and programmed them into the presets, 6 on each screen, 3 SAT screens. Now, I use the station up/down buttons on the wheel to cycle through SAT1, then hit Mode once (right above it), and cycle through those 6, hit Mode again and go through the last 6. (Then it's 5 taps to the Mode button to get back to SAT1!).

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, ok, that doesn't make sense as I sit here away from the car, but I like the sound of it. I'll have to give it a try. I'll report back...the thing that confuses me is that my mode button, IIRC, cycles through the SATs and CD/Radio, but maybe it's the arrow one...dang, gotta go play. Thanks for the suggestions though!

15. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You know what, with SE/SS, we don't have this problem. I just realized this. I think I might want to get one now.

16. KathyY

KathyY Member

You don't have to hit the mode with voice recognition just say Sat 1, Sat 2 or Sat 3. I have my traffic stations on Sat 3 with the one I use the most in the first postition. On Sat 1 in postition 1 is the station I listen the most. Sat 2, postition 1 is the next station I like to listen to. That way if I want the traffic I just say Sat 3 and it goes right to it. It is easier to do than to explain.

17. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like it would be - I use a similar trick for FM and AM. The more I read this, the more I want XM. I'm doing a 7 hour drive from SoCal to Phoenix tonite, and coming back Sunday or Monday - trips ideal for XM.

General XM quesition directed to audiophiles on this board:

Does XM sound "compressed" at all? I.e. do you hear traces of MPEG sound artifacts or distortion? Especially in busy sounding music, or pieces with high crashing cymbols, etc?

Thanks!
    -Rick

18. mboileau

mboileau New Member

OK, first to make sure everyone understands how the Mode button works, it cycles through the bands as follows:
    FM1->FM2->AM->CD->SAT1->SAT2->SAT3->FM1
    (I may have AM and CD mixed up) The point is that the button will only cycle up which works great for going from SAT1 to SAT2 to SAT3. To get back to SAT1, as Kathy says, it's probably easier (if you have NAV) to use the voice command to get there directly rather than hitting the button five times in a row.

My overall problem with using the voice recognition system for ANY audio or climate commands is the agonizingly SLOOOWWWW delay it takes before the beep and before she actually does anything.

19. obiwan

obiwan New Member

Houston - West, near Westheimer and Beltway
    We've had XM radio in the home now for about two weeks and the sound is similar to FM in quality - maybe a bit better. It sounds more "compressed" than CD's but better than off-the-air.

I'm no audiophile - but I like what I hear.

We have a delphi at home with two base stations, and have an XM for the Prius as well - just waiting for the first cool weekend to put it in.

We had our first experience in an Avis rental about a year ago, and I can't concieve of a cross-country trip without it.

Plus they've recently begun doing traffic reports for some of the larger cities.

20. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That was the other draw - they do Phoenix metro traffic to boot. I currently rely on AM radio stations here in SoCal to do the same. Cross state through the Dessert w/ no decent reception was the other motivation. Clarity would be a third, but I am concerned about quality.