1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2.5" Less Rear Leg Room

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by stream, Apr 5, 2009.

1. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A bit disconcerting to me is the fact that the 2010 Prius specs show ~2.5" less rear leg room (although slightly more knee room due to a thinner front seat back).

Is is noticeably less roomy in the back seat? Would my 6' 2" son have an issue back there?

Where did the 2.5" go? Front leg room only increased by ~0.5", so that's not the answer.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The back seat feels just as spacious as with the Gen II. I believe the issue is that the driver's seat will now push back farther, which is good for taller drivers, but reduces leg room in the back, but only if you push the seat way back.

Tom

3. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For me, does not matter. I will never be in the back seat for one and the other fact is I'm only 5'9 so rear seat passengers won't have a problem anyways sitting behind me. All I know is I love this new car much better than the one it's replacing in the styling department. Not to mention it has many more features that I want.

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I second Qbee's reply. There is more than enough backseat knee room in Gen III. Better front seat travel, and better backseat headroom are far more important. Gen II had way more knee room than necessary. And by the way the middle of the back seat is more useable for a 3rd person (nice flat seat and no cupholders to bump your knees on, though some people say they prefer the old location of those cupholders).

5. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That is my impression also. I don't think there is any less total room. It is just the front seat has the capability of going further back. When it does, there is less room in the back.

6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    At first I thought the added front seat travel was the answer, but then why did the front leg room only increase by ~0.5"?

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on how they measure the room and I still haven't figured that out.

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah I agree, there is no less rear legroom in the 2010. Only reason it would seem less is if you have the front seats back all the way since they do go back further now.

9. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    FINALLY I get to answer this question! I've been waiting for it.

The reason its smaller on the spec sheet is due to the unique measurements required for the EPA. The way they are defined, it has lower rear legroom. But for practical purposes (e.g., knee room), it is actually larger than the Gen 2. Recommend you try it and prove it to yourself.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

7 people like this.
  10. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm assuming one reason that is true is because of the scooped out shape of the seatbacks, which has not yet been mentioned. Any answer to the front legroom/seat travel question? There seems to be inconsistent information on that as well, even though there appears to be more than enough front leg room for the tall folks now.

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the seat might be a little lower.

12. jprates

jprates https://ecomove.pt

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Doug,

I found this definition on the internet, don't know if it is true:

Front leg room is the distance from the heel of the driver's accelerator foot to the seatback. Rear leg room is the horizontal distance between the rear and front seatback, with front leg room set at 40 inches.
    These are measured using a 5' 9" passenger as a guide.

Is this correct? If so, then the only way I can see of having more knee room with less leg room is to increase the leg incline so that the knees are higher and further back from the front seat.

Can you confirm this please? The back seat has been lowered, the inclination of it has it deeper now, or what? Thanks.

13. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I remember reading (I think autobloggreen) that the 2.5 inches are lost due to the fct that the front seats can be moved further back and the way the measurements are taken

14. bob brown

bob brown Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    could it be that the new model has a height adjustor under drivers seat that might limit toe room for rear seat passengers?