1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 Battery Articles

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by jonathanrohr, Apr 18, 2007.

1. jonathanrohr

jonathanrohr New Member

Both of these articles talk alot about A123Systems... very exciting to see a new startup showing so much promise!

From 0 to 60 MPH in Under 1.5 Seconds, KillaCycle Sets New World Speed Record
    A123Systems Lithium-Ion Batteries Help Achieve The World's Fastest Electric Powered Quarter Mile

Next Generation Battery Technology Delivers Unmatched Power, Safety and Life

Watertown, Mass. – April 5, 2007 - A123Systems today announced that The KillaCycle, the world’s quickest electric motorcycle and the official world record holder in the ¼ mile drag, broke the world record again using its lithium-ion batteries. The official record for any electric vehicle worldwide in the ¼ mile is set now at an elapsed time of 8.16 seconds. Further, The KillaCycle holds the top speed record for the ¼ mile, at a blistering 156mph.

Link: click here

In Quest for Better Battery,
    Keep an Ion Nationalism
    By NORIHIKO SHIROUZU
    April 13, 2007; Page B1

In 2005, General Motors Corp. executives -- blue over their company's less-than-green reputation and envious of eco-darling Toyota Prius -- began searching the world for advanced batteries they hoped would power a new generation of gas-electric hybrid cars.

Most roads led them to Japan, the leader in battery technology and Toyota Motor Corp.'s home turf. Several GM engineers and executives describe their experience at Panasonic EV Energy Co. Ltd., one of the top makers of hybrid-car batteries, as typical of the reception they received there: When GM team members asked for detailed information about the company's most sophisticated automotive lithium-ion batteries, Panasonic EV refused.

A Panasonic EV spokesman says that as a matter of company policy it only discloses that kind of information to its parent company, Toyota.

Link: click here

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonathan Rohr @ Apr 18 2007, 06:58 AM) [snapback]425259[/snapback]</div>
    I wonder what kind of tires it takes to get enough traction to accelerate something as light as a motorcycle that fast?

3. jonathanrohr

jonathanrohr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 18 2007, 07:22 PM) [snapback]425649[/snapback]</div>
    A big old fat one, nice and hot, and probably around 10-20 psi.

Edit:
    BUD! YOU GOTTA CHECK OUT THE VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDHJNG2PngQ

The launch is insane! GOD I WANT AN EV! All that torque right away!

For comparison... heres a Trans Am. Still very fast.. but looks slow slow compared to that bike! Especially the launch: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=57...s+am+1%2F4+mile

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the video links. That's pretty wild. I presume all the white smoke is spinning the tire to get it hot so it's stickier for traction.

I'm not really a speed demon, though. I think my next car goes from zero to 30 in about ten seconds. :)

5. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonathan Rohr @ Apr 18 2007, 07:42 PM) [snapback]425723[/snapback]</div>
    Jonathan Rohr,

I want one too.

Had me a crotch rocket once and it was awesome. I cannot image even more torque.

Thanks for the link!