1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 child car seats

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by virtuous, Jan 17, 2005.

1. virtuous

virtuous New Member

How does one safely put two child seats in the Prius w/ side airbags? The LATCH system has a place for a child seat in the center of the back seat. We are planning on a kiddie #2, so the older child will move towards the door while the new infant goes in the middle (rear facing).

Question: Has anyone done this? Should the side airbag on that side have to be turned off to avoid endangering the child? Can it be turned off?

Thanks,
    concerned dad (who doesn't want to get rid of his Prius for a car that can accomodate 2 small children)

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got 3 seats across the back. While it is ideal to have just the center position with a small child as long as the child isn't leaning on the door when the bag deploys they should be OK.

[​IMG]

3. virtuous

virtuous New Member

Thanks for your reply and the photo.
    Are you able to use the LATCH system with the two seats on the ends, or only in the center? I suppose you could anchor the two ourboard seats the old-fashioned way, with a seat belt.

Allan

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a total of 4 LATCH anchors and all 3 seats attach properly to the LATCH system. Center seats usually do not have LATCH anchors, but use the outside seat anchors instead.

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Man, with two car seats and two DVD players, I hope you ordered the soundproof taxi/limo glass option.

Or at least the stereo upgrade.
    ;-)

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    3 seats
    1DVD
    2 monitors
    3 kids

need a soundproof divider b/w the front and rear seats! :mrgreen:

7. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind of monitors are those and where'd you get them? and also.. where do you get the power from?

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good old Wal-mart. $178. The DVD player (~ 1" thick/flat, fits on the 'hump' b/w the driver & passenger foot wells...a little velcro makes it stick nicely to the carpet) plugs into the powerpoint on the lower dash by the hump. the two monitors are 6.2" wide screen proportions and are powered from the DVD player. The monitors are pretty nice and the screens can actually tilt independently from the base part of the monitor. Not a bad little set up really for the price.

Here's the Link to the player at Wal-mart

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

How'd you get it for $178? Your link shows $278

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sorry, think it was $278

11. alpaca

alpaca New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 17 2005, 10:00 AM) [snapback]64089[/snapback]</div>

What brand/model car seats do you have that you can fit 3 across the back?
    Anyone have suggestions on a pair of narrow car seats so an adult can still fit in the center?

thanks

12. msmit002

msmit002 Junior Member

Well, I can tell you it won't be 3 Britax Marathons! :lol:

We just put my little monkey's seat in the center of the back seat and my husband and I stood back and laughed when we realized that no body else will be able to sit back there next to him and still plug in a seatbelt. :unsure: Woops!

Besides, I don't know anyone that can afford 3 of those carseats at $270 a pop anyway...

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We've had a number of different brands/models of car seats over the past 3 years as the kids have grown in size and numbers. Mostly we've used Graco seats of various styles. It's always been a tight fit...but they fit.

Currently we've got booster seats on either side for the boys (who just turned 7) and a 5 point harness type seat in the center for the 2 year old. Of interest, we have the exact same set up in the Highlander Hybrid. They fit nearly the same with just a slightly tighter fit where the boys have a hard time buckling the booster seats in themselves in the Prius where they can buckle themselves into the HiHy fairly adroitly.