1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2-Door Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by insolarman, Jun 16, 2006.

1. insolarman

insolarman New Member

As someone who primarily uses their Prius as a commuter vehicle for one or two persons, I would be interested in the market interest in a 2-door version.
    This would still have the hatchback, but allow for an easier entrance and greater leg room for we taller persons.
    I also have been a fan of 2-door sedans with a more sporty look. New colors with the 2-door which would appeal to younger fans of green technology. Different rims. Different interior packages.
    I certainly realize the fewer options the easier to contain the costs, but we are looking at an upswing in the market for the product and the penetration to other demographics seems plausible at this time.
    Interested in others thoughts.

Love the potential for the turbo and the lithium batteries.

2. clarkeb

clarkeb New Member

The Honda something hybrid was a two-door hatchback and looked quite similar to the Prius. Forgot what it was called, though...

3. ChuX

ChuX New Member

the Honda Insight

4. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nah. Even though most of my Prius driving is solo, I'd never give up the flexibility of a 4-door car.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I used to own a 1990 Ford Probe, which is a two-door with hatchback. It was fine for my commute, but lousy when I had more than one passenger. I knew the next car I had would be a four-door (which was the Prius).

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah. I would have gotten a smaller hybrid but you know, with kids and I like to haul stuff and you know I might get a boat sometime in the distant future and then of course there's the fact that smaller cars lead to higher highway deaths not to mention that they make me feel so cramped and they're just so tiny and sometimes I have to drive a bunch of people.

Sorry, but I simply could not resist using every excuse I've ever heard people use to explain why they feel they can't buy a hybrid. Felt it was funny to try and use it to explain why I couldn't get a smaller hybrid. :D

7. Pollenfax

Pollenfax New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoVaSnow @ Jun 16 2006, 09:08 AM) [snapback]272198[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree. My last car was a 2 door Honda Accord Coupe and although I really liked it at first I soon grew tired and then frustrated with not being able to ever access the back seats without alot of hassle.

I won't go back to a two door again.

8. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Prius is my first 4 door automatic. I'm a 2 dr stick kinda guy. I still have my 2000 Impreza coupe, before that Eagle Talon AWD Turbo, Mustangs, etc. I always think about rental cars when I get in a 4 dr automatic. The foot operated parking brake adds to that feeling. That being said, I love my Prius, too many doors, not enough gears, and all. I wouldn't change anything about the layout. Better, more supportive seats, and tighter handling would be welcome additions, though. I'm also a single commuter, 500 mile a week. I use the back seat for briefcase and lunch. The fact that the seat folds down for my bike, is a plus. My Impreza doesn't do that.

If there was a choice, I would have gone for the 2 door, especially if they keep the hatch.

9. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the Prius over the Insight due to the flexibility that it offers. It gets great mileage as a commute car, as well as, a road trip car. Now if they could extend the length a couple of feet and only sacrifice 5 or so MPG I would be even happier. Although if the Insight had the options of the Prius I may be inclined to get it. Imagine the fuel economy of a Insight with the Prius hybrid technology.

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow. I'm actually surprised that anybody still makes 2-door vehicles.

Easier to get in? Not in a parking lot where you can't swing the wider (longer?) door out enough to get in! Honestly, I personally see zero advantage to just two doors, except that it is harder to leave one ajar, when you only have half to start with. The beauty of four doors is that you only have to use two of them if you only have two people in the car. Need to put more poeple in? Magically, there are more doors that can be used for their convenience! Yay. Even without passengers in the back, I use the back for storage, and access through the rear doors isn't something I'd want to give up!

11. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jun 16 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]272406[/snapback]</div>
    Takes all kinds to make the world go 'round!
    [​IMG] If they had extended it a couple of FEET I would not have bought it. I am VERY happy that it is only a couple of INCHES longer and wider than my '91 Acura Integra 3-dr HB, and yet, inside, it has incredibly more room. My son was in the backseat for the first time last weekend, and he started talking about putting a tray table on the back of the seat for his laptop, there is so much room back there--way more than in his '87 BMW 7 and my husband's '02 BMW 5. Of course, it helps that I am 5' tall and keep my seat all the way forward, but still--there is a LOT of room in there. I am now and think I always will be a small car kinda gal. As an earlier poster wrote, he's a 2-dr stick kinda guy. Well, I used to be all that, but as I can't drive a stick anymore, I became a 3-dr automatic kinda gal. The beauty of the Prius for me is that it just is not a lot bigger than my old 3-dr...AND, how many hatchback SEDANS are there out there??? (I am SURE someone here can answer that semi-rhetorical question!) :rolleyes:

12. stevefsh

stevefsh stevefsh

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I heard an ABC news report last week that Honda has stopped producing the Insight. The reason stated was high production cost, and lower than expected sales figures. IMHO. This thing has been butt-ugly from day one. Way too little interior/storage space. Also the news article gave a total production figure of 13,000 ??
    Could that be right ?? I think I have seen maybe 3 myself over the past couple years. Any thoughts ?

13. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What about the Toyota Personal Mobility Vehicle http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/pm.html

It is so ugly it kind of looks neat. I think it has two doors. hehehe Then again maybe the front opens like a plane cockpit. I would get one just to see all the stares. :p

14. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Jun 16 2006, 03:32 PM) [snapback]272356[/snapback]</div>
    Heh heh... that sounds just like me! I had a 2-dr Integra with a stick and loved it. That was my bachelor car, and she treated me very well. Seldom had more than one passenger, and the hatch was awesome for moving stuff... 27" TVs in the box... even moved a 46" DLP set in the box in that car, though I had the tie the hatch the last 2"... Very close... but that sold me on hatchbacks forever! ;)

My next car was going to be another manual transmission ("real driving") with the forerunner being a Mazda, when the Prius was still out of financial reach for me. The versatility of the Mazda 5 had real appeal (with a stick!), but I just found it way too much of a gas pig for a 4-cylinder. I commute 90 miles per day in Toronto traffic round trip, so FE is a big factor for me.

As fun as the 2-door was, at this point my next vehicle had to have 4 (or 5!) doors as we plan to start our family in the near future. ;)

So a 2-door Prius would not be an option for me...

- Kevin

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed. With the Prius, we can see why hatchbacks are so popular in Europe. They're compact-midsize and haul a lot more than sedans but, of course, less than a wagon. However, they tend to be a bit more stylish than wagons.

16. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jun 17 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]272690[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! I just got back from the supermarket, and the PMV looks like it's missing the grocery basket on the back.

17. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

lol..you dont know much about consumer preferences regarding automobiles..do you > ? 2 door cars(except for high performance sports cars ) went out of style with padded vynal tops..