1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 inch circle in front bumber

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jyoungprius, Apr 6, 2005.

1. jyoungprius

jyoungprius Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Someone may have asked this already but I have not seen an answer here yet. Have you 2004-2005 Prius owners noticed the approximate 2 inch circle on the drivers side front bumper? Does anyone know what this is for? My salesman had no idea. I guess I could call the Service Dept...but I bet someone here on PriusChat has the right answer.

2. xevious

xevious New Member

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi... Simple... this "plug" when removed gives access to the mounting base for the towing ring. You should find this ring in the tools area near your spare tire. The plug is removed and the ring screwed into its threaded base to provide a secure "eye" for tie-down or towing.

CAUTION: The Prius should not be towed with its front wheels on the ground. Read the Manual on towing.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was designed as a very fast way for toyota to ship their cars. Since it's tied solid into the frame, all they have to do is drive them up and clip them in. now the cars can't roll.... er.. that's what i heard from a dealer a while back... well.. a dealer that knew what he was talking about for the most part. :)

5. prius mdt

prius mdt New Member

No - not for shipping - there are holes in the rockers in front of the rear wheels that accept a chain hook for shipping. Rubber plugs went in the holes before delivery to seal out weather / road gunk.

They are indeed for a tow truck driver to hook a winch cable to and drag your Prius up onto his flatbed tow truck. The good news is ALL tow truck drivers are Prius trained. They know where the eye bolt is stowed inside your prius and know where to install the eye bolt in your front bumper. No offense to those drivers who do know this - just food for thought for you Prius owners before you leave a dead/stranded Prius on the side of the road for a tow truck to arrive later. Install the eyebolt yourself before the tow truck arrives.

P.S. - I don't recall seeing a Prius "on the hook" yet? - NO one did get towed in...it was out of gas!!!

6. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    cool.. i learned something new... what do yo know.. the dealer was wrong :wink: i find that amusing

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"79185)</div>
    Amusing is not the word I would choose, inevitable is the one I would have used.

8. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lol.. inevitable... very true.

9. Stocky

Stocky New Member

Ok - I knew what the hole was for and all about the eye-bolt, BUT ...

How the heck do you get the plastic "bung" out of the front bumper without damaging it or the bumper? Anyone had experience?

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tissue over screwdriver

11. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    .. use the force :)

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Corner of a credit card that you really do not want to use for anything else.

13. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius mdt\";p=\"79183)</div>
    ALL tow truck drivers Prius trained? Just like all salesmen/women know all about the Prius? Thats hard to believe. Next we will have Prius trained lube techs wanting to check the filter under the big silver metal cover, :lol:

14. Stocky

Stocky New Member

Ahh Luke - I feel the force is strong in you, but just in case, take this credit card - LOL.

Thanks V8, TP and hdrygas, if I ever need to get the cover off I will remember what you have said. But, hey, this is a PRIUS and we will never have to do that, right?

15. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Stocky: lol yes, always have the credit card.. it was created by the force as a backup :)

Never have to use it?... uhh.. uhh.. we hope not. no guarantees though. I like to say you would never have to use it though.

Hopefully at worse, people will only have to experience running out of gas. They should have been heading to a gas station anyways... so they might be able to make it on electric? ( using electric only is not a good idea in most cases ) But.. yeah.. i can now think of many reasons you would have to two a prius. Almost all point to other bad drivers. (i had a nightmare my prius was wrecked and had to be towed.. ironic i guess )

16. CitizenjaQ

CitizenjaQ New Member

Ah, that's what that thing is. My salesman told me it was for some "sensor" that wasn't installed on my base model. :roll:

Seems kind of odd to have a towing connection so off-center. I was just going to find a peace sign or enviro-weenie sticker to put there...

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Most EU-market cars have an Emergency Tow Eye on the front bumper. Though this is the first North American Toyota I've seen with it. I think it's a good idea.

Like any new car owner, I read the Owner Manual cover to cover several times when I bought my Prius. When my Prius conked on my last November, I already had the tow eye threaded in for the tow operator. He found it very convenient to hook up the winch to pull it up onto the flatbed.

I was also worried about the plastic cover. I looked around and eventually found a small and cheap woodworking tool. It has a very thin blade that fits perfectly with a rag on it. You can't even tell I had the cover off, no nicks or scratches at all.

I strongly encourage a new car owner to try out things like putting on the tow eye and even try out the "jack" included for changing a tire. You may discover the factory "jack" is all but useless.

I personally use a small cheap hydraulic trolley jack in its own plastic case. I also have a 24 inch 1/2 drive bar, a 6 inch extension, and a 6 point 20 (Or is it 21) mm socket for the lugnuts.

I have seen folks stranded due to the small factory lugnut wrench being inadequate to loosen the nuts. If you're in BFE, you'd be SOL. This is something thats a lot easier to find out in the comfort of your garage than in an emergency situation.

Much like winter driving: do you carry a bag of cheap kitty litter and a collapsible shovel? No?

18. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    always good to be prepared. I learned i don't like the stock tire iron. It's rough forged shape has lips that scraped the inside of my new tires. Now i have scrapes in a few of the tiers :( need a new one so that never happens again.

I dont' mind the stock jack. it's easier than the older models they put out. ( helped someone with an older toyota change the tire. The powder coating paint does come off on your hands though. lol