1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 Mods - Strut And Chassis Brace.......

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Genoz World, May 16, 2008.

1. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    HELLO.............time for some mods..................i read the related threads but they're not too clear about the COMBO of these two mods. also, i'm thinking about the K&N air filter, NOT for performance, but for longevity.

so, here goes my questions:

#1) on a standard #6 prius, has anyone done both the strut and chassis brace? if so, what are the results of these modifications? is it a bone jarring ride.........or docile enough to only feel it through the turns? would you all consider this a very good addition for a stock prius?

#2) the dealer said that the oil on the K&N air filter will contaminate the sensors on a Scion TC.......is this the same precaution on a 2008 prius? forget about the performance - it's NOT what this is about, it's the longevity and my ability to be able to clean and re-oil whenever i want.

ALSO, i do not plan on changing the stock rims and tires anytime soon. would you all consider the braces a waste of time if the tires are stock goodyear integrities?????

thank you all in advance.

:flame:

Attached Files:

2. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you hear the word KN RUN! It is the WORST (as bench tested on a 1million dollar contaminate machine) air filter made.

We had this argument in another forum and they tested every air filter brand made and KN tested the worse by a long way. Uni was second. The factory GMC filter tested the best. The test was done under strict guidelines by a company that only does testing.

3. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Stay away from K&N...i had one in my Tundra and i had to clean the MAF every 3,000 miles and the throttle body got dirty easily....lots of crap got in

4. Genoz World

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PROBLEM CHILD - ok, thanks, got the point.......however you mentioned GMC.........is that a code or the manufacturer general motors corporation??? if it is GMC for general motors, i dont think they make a filter for the toyota prius,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,right???

SDTUNDRA - hey, how are you? i remember your thread when you first bought your prius. how is it now? what kind of mileage RU getting? happy with the prius? temp here is gittin HOT, ha? thanks for your post.

5. Genoz World

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NO suggestions about both braces people?:confused:

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the point is, you won't find a better filter than the filter the manufacturer uses. K&N may flow slightly better but I doubt it but no filter at all will flow better than a K&N so why not run no filter? K&N gets better flow because it has big holes in it. That is big compared to the size of a piece of dust. I have seen the damage a poor filter can do to an engine. Damaged, dirty or poor quality air filters are responsible for most valve seat damage.
    The guy who did our head machining (when I was mechanicing) could always tell from the valve seat wear if an engine had a dirty damaged or crap filter.

I use the air filter which is recommended by the company that made the car and provides the 3 year warranty, they seem to have some faith in the product and put their money where their mouth is.

Sorry I can't comment on the strut brace and chassis stiffening plate as I only have the plate. I also have Michelin XM1 tyres, 195 60R - 15 and I am very happy with the handling of the Prius although I believe Australian models have the touring suspension as it has very little body roll.

I believe bang for buck do in this order
    1 - tyres
    2 - stiffening plate
    3 - strut brace
    however I am only speculating.

7. Genoz World

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PATSPARKS - hey mate, as i said earlier, I GOT THE POINT. forget the K&N filter. point taken.

now how about the two struts? is that overkill? how would it handle? what changes would it do for my prius??

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I got carried away. Edited last post before I saw your post.

9. Genoz World

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    cool. got it.

it's funny, i think people do one brace or the other, but no comments on both. hmmmmm......any help from someone that's done BOTH people???

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I have the BT strut tower brace, the chassis plate (one of the first BT Prius products I think) and IO also have the TRD suspension and 17 X 7.5 rims. I also did a larger rear suspension bar (kind of like the old pan hard bars) that goes between the rear shocks. Some call it a sway bar, I do not believe it is a sway bar.
    My car handles nice and it is not harsh or rough at all. I drive a canyon road four days per week and can roll through it at 65 and stay with almost anything else without much effort. I think it kind of unnerves the BMW, Mercedez and Porsche crowd when they look in their rear view mirror and see my little Prius staying with them. Hee Hee Hee.

11. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    K&N air filters are great and I fully support using them. The problems happen when people over oil the filter, causing issues from the excess oil.

12. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the BT Tech Stiffening Plate installed. I also have the Strut Tower Brace but have not installed it yet.

I believe there are several or many who have installed both braces on their standard or Touring Prius, e.g., GadgetDad (Touring), Efusco (standard), NoMoShocks (standard), BobbyB (standard), Cairo94507 (standard).

I have read hundreds of posts on the Stiffening Plate and every post on the Strut Tower Brace.

For the Stiffening Plate, the most frequent comment is that the car is more stable at highway speeds and in cross winds.

For the Strut Tower Brace, the most frequent comment is that the car's turn-in lean (and to a lesser extent, body roll) is reduced.

I do not recall a single post that said that the brace(s) affected the comfort/harshness of the ride.

13. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Cairo,

A Panhard rod is the rod that goes from a live rear axle to the chasis. Its purpose is to keep the live rear axle from deflecting sideways under cornering loads and driveshaft torque variations. My first car was a Opel Manta, which had a Panhard rod, and a sway bar. These were seperate parts. It could do cloverleafs at speeds that stock Trans-Am / Camaro's would do a loop-de-loop. Later on the Panhard rod was added to the Trans-Am / Camaro suspension, but in the mid to late 70's this was not a stock item on these cars. And people wonder why "Unsafe at any speed" was a million copy selling book. GM is just too cheap for its customer's goods sometimes.

The Prius has the torsion bar-trailing arm suspension, and the torsion bar is secured to the chasis left-right, but can twist and rotate. So, no need for a Panhard rod. You probably installed an add-on sway bar, to improve the anti-roll characteristics. The torsion bar suspension uses the forward horizontal member as a combination sway bar and trailing arm support. So, rather than beefing up an existing sway bar, one has to add one on.

14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cairo,

What's that rear bar you're talking about or where did you get it?

Is that one of the TOMs' braces?

15. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The majority of our customers that purchased our BT Tech strut tower brace and stiffening plate are using the stock wheels/tires.

As there are a lot more "standard" Prius' out there, the majority have installed our parts on this version but we have sold a good number to those that have the "touring" version as well.

16. lazysheep

lazysheep New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    ditto. been reading up on suspension mods for a few days but haven't heard of this bar

17. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ThanX for the summary. Very nice! :)

One question ..... what do you mean when you state that the "turn-in lean" is reduced? In other words, what's the difference between "turn-in lean" and body roll? ThanX!

... Brad

18. Genoz World

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NOW, we're getting somewhere. OK. here goes...............

i'll get the chassis plate and the front strut braces. seems to me like it's good to have them both and they will really shine when i need it, but when the car is driven in a docile manner, i wont know that they're there at all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AM I RIGHT?

CAIRO - i think you were the one in the previous page that does the canyon driving? wow, too cool. did you notice a drop in MPG when you got the 17" rims? what kind of rims and what tires are you running. you seem to have a very nice "sleeper" Prius!! thumbs up! that's the direction i want my prius to head to.

while i'm on the subject of rims,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY to get a very light rim and tire combination that will NOT decrease the fuel efficiency of the prius????

19. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The way Drees explained it to me they're somewhat similar. But "turn-in lean" can be viewed as the initial part of body roll when making a turn.

BTW Drees started an excellent thread on the subject of improving the Prius' handling:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-modifications/40806-how-get-go-cart-handling-theory-least.html