1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 months of ownership and my car acted up on me

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sea-horsea, Nov 2, 2007.

1. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

I listened to AM every morning and this morning I noticed all the memory channels were gone...then I check both FM1 and FM2...GONE! what can cause that? i can't think of anything unusal happened except one:

I was listening to a CD ( mp3 files) and had it on random...then after it finsihed one song it tried to change from disc #1 to the 2nd disc but it didn't..then it went back to disc #1 again and everything seem to be normal again..i didn't check the AM/FM right away and just noticed that problem this morning...

what could've been wrong? thank you

2. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would first suspect a an intermittent in the power to the radio. Loss of presets will happen if power is lost and an intermittent could also explain the other problems. It could be as simple as a as a connector being not fully seated; it is not difficult to remove a couple of dash panels to investigate.

Since your car is (probably) still under warranty I would let a dealer sort it out.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The loss of power could be caused by a bad 12V battery, or leaving a door ajar. The Prius needs just enough 12V juice to boot the computers and close the HV relay; after that, the 12V is supplied by the HV inverter system. It may be possible that the 12V dropped low enough that you lost the presets, but not so low that the Prius wouldn't boot. I'm not sure of the data retention voltage for the radio, so I don't know if this is a plausible scenario. In any event, your problem is most likely a 12V issue. A less likely, but possible, issue is a bad radio.

Tom