1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 months stay in the garage: what to do?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by bkman, May 21, 2013.

1. bkman

bkman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I plan to go on business trip for 2 months and my family also will be abroad — so nobody will be driving my Prius v.

What should I do in advance to get working car when I get home?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would put a trickle charger on the 12v connections in the engine fuse box. Others might remove the 12v battery cable but I would rather keep the computer tuning in place.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Either works, but if nobody is home to monitor some risk is involved with the trickle charger, power outages, charger dies, ect. My choice would be to disconnect and isolate both cables from the 12V battery and leave it in the car with the hatch open, assuming you have a garage of course. Then when you return, throw the charger on the "battery only" (as needed) before reconnecting.

4. easted

easted Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Get a 12v battery minder ( not a trickle charger) and hook up directly to battery, these battery chargers cost about 30.00 bucks. I think northern tool sells one for about this price. Leave the battery terminals hooked up. This will keep the battery charged up but will not overcharge. I have done this to my 2007 Prius from mid November thru mid April for the last 3 years, with no problems.

easted

5. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1, I do the same also.

6. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use a battery minder on our BMW Z4 6 months a year with no problems at all

7. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Any smart battery charger should do the job. Open slightly the rear window and run extension cord to the charger in a back.

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Agree that any low amp charger bought today would be ok (less the cheapest Harbor Freight or Northern Tool unit). The old one from dad in the garage may not have had regulation.

9. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Alternatively, a solar charger if you have access to daylight where the car is.

10. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Two months is not all that much. I would not worry about it but maybe have a trickle charger ready to use if you get home and any of your cars do not start. A few hours on a trickle charger and you should be good to go.

We have always used "house sitter" services when away for extended periods and had them check on the house several times each week - not at all expensive. You could even ask them to start your cars and let them run while they are checking the house although we have never asked them to do that. We've used the same service for maybe 20 years. The last thing you want is to come home and find you've had a plumbing leak for two months.