1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 MPH Speedo error

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wileec, Aug 1, 2007.

1. wileec

wileec Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We have noticed a 2 MPH error in the speedometer at all speeds from 15 to 75, we show 17-77 2 MPH faster. Therefor showing more miles on odometer therefor less MPG and shorter 36000 mike warentee only 359**? warentee not a huge issue but it is there. We have monitered this error using statonary radar signs (all ways shows 2 MPH faster) and also with two differnt GPS systems both show the same error.

Is this normal?

If not what can we do?

Error has been there with stock tires and is the same with new stock 186/65 Michelin Hydroedge tires 42/40psi.

2. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wileec @ Aug 1 2007, 06:54 AM) [snapback]488585[/snapback]</div>
    About what I'ver noticed also, 203 mph. I have 195/60 Good year assurance tires, so still pretty close to stock and or your size.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Me too!
    Stock size tires.
    Compared to hand held GPS, 2 MPH off.

4. mgipe

mgipe New Member

This is typical for all cars, not just the Prius. Most speedometers read between 1 and 10% fast.

It is highly dependent on tires: size, age/wear, inflation, temperature.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Interesting, I presumed mine was off by 2 MPH (at 60 MPH since I can use a stopwatch and the mileage markers on the interstate) because my 190/60/15 TripleTreds have 863 revs per mile and the OEMs have 855. Can my (OK YOUR) trusty Toyota dealer can adjust the speedo?

6. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wileec @ Aug 1 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]488585[/snapback]</div>

same noticed here.. I have the hydroedges as well..

Now I have 114K miles..
    How many extra miles is that?

7. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It seems all vehicles are set up that way, with speedometers reading 2 mph faster than actual.

It might have something to do with a law or regulation prohibiting speedometers from ever reading too low.

My Prius speedometer is also 2 mph too fast, based on those radar signs along the road.

Harry

PS: you can be 2 mph over the speed limit and not have to worry about a speeding ticket. This is not the kind of issue I am going to worry about. Subtract 2 mph from your speedometer for your actual speed, and adjust your behavior accordingly.

8. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In my case, I have noticed my speedometer indicates 2 mph faster than the signs by the side of the road to give feedback on the speed.

The error, in terms of per cent, is greater at lower speeds. However, I don't think this is a significant problem. I have not noticed errors in odometer indication; the odometer agrees with highway signs, over long distances.

9. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oxnardprof @ Aug 3 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]490018[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, my speedo always matches exactly the speed signboards on the side of the road. I haven't done a odo test though.

10. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Aug 4 2007, 02:35 AM) [snapback]490016[/snapback]</div>
    There is "UN-ECE Regulation No. 39".
    http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/39rv1e.pdf

Ken@Japan

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My speedo is within 1mph of the speed reported by my Garmin GPS. Usually they match.

12. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

My 2005 matches my GPS within tenths of a MPH, but most countries mandate that speedometers shall not read slower than you are going ("The speed indicated shall not be less than the true speed of the vehicle"). See para 5.3 on Ken's attachment.

I've seen analog speedometers read 4 MPH higher, so it could definitely be worse!

13. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 3 2007, 10:13 PM) [snapback]490290[/snapback]</div>
    I also checked mine against my GPS, and they usually matched, or sometimes off by 1 mph (the GPS reads in tenths.) A GPS unit can lag in readings, and also can be inaccurate on curves due to how they measure speed, so I made sure I was on a long straightaway, and had been maintaining a constant speed before checking. I don't recall if the speedo ever read less than the GPS, though I'm going to try it again when I get a chance and this time make note of that.

14. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

15. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catgic @ Aug 4 2007, 05:57 AM) [snapback]490442[/snapback]</div>
    GPS is quite capable of this accuracy. Not all receivers are created equal, but ever since Selective Availability was turned off, there is fractional MPH accuracy available from GPS. The following paragraph from the public GPS User equipment document should make this clear:

3.3 RECEIVER VELOCITY ACCURACY
    GPS receivers typically calculate velocity by measuring the frequency shift (Doppler
    shift) of the GPS D-band carrier(s). Velocity accuracy can be scenario dependent,
    but 0.2 m/sec per axis (95%) is achievable for PPS receivers. SPS velocity
    accuracy is the same as PPS when SA is off. When SA is on, SPS velocity
    accuracy is degraded. The amount of degra dation of the velocity is classified.
    However, although not guaranteed, SPS velocity accuracies around 0.4 m/sec 95%
    have been observed by civilian users for the typical level of SA associated with
    normal peacetime operations and 100 metres 95% horizontal position ing accuracy.
    Velocity accuracy can be effectively tested in a laboratory environment, but field
    testing can be difficult since a tracking system with 0.05 m/sec or better accuracy is
    required. The reader is urged to carefully consider the methods of testing if
    velocity accuracy is an important mission requirement.

Bottom Line. GPS can provide better than 0.45 mph accuracy.

16. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oxnardprof @ Aug 4 2007, 02:40 AM) [snapback]490018[/snapback]</div>
    I think your observation is very correct.
    The speedometer dispaly is intentionally biased and the odometer display is another story.

Ken@Japan

17. wileec

wileec Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catgic @ Aug 4 2007, 03:57 AM) [snapback]490442[/snapback]</div>
    If you did not notice the GPS was not the primary method of finding real speed we too used the signs at the side of the road... The GPS was a check (that agreed) with those signs. And over all while I agree that the GPs is not accurate enough to believe it to the tenth of a MPH the error will not be much greater than that. So 2 MPH is reasonablely with in it's scope.

As for the "noise" I understand that statisticly this amount of error is "noise" but convince Toyota of this if something serious happens at 37000,

18. skandale

skandale Member

Has anyone compared their speedometer reading to the readings of a ScanGaugeII?
    In my current car (a 2005 Peugeot 2005, I'm still waiting for my Prius) I have noticed that my speedometer is about 4% off, while the ScanGaugeII seems to be within 1 KPH of my Garmin Nüvi 360.

So there may be that the speedometer is knowlingly "corrected" to show too high speeds, while the car itself, and possibly the odometer, knows quite accuretely how fast and far you are going.

Just my thoughts,
    Stein

19. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    My speedometer is a full 3mph off the pace at 30mph, and 6mph at 60mph. Toyota say there is nothing that can be done to recalibrate it. It seems odd that there should be any variation between Prii given it is a digital system once you get past the circumference of the tyres. I have the standard Bridgestones at 40psi front and 38psi rear.

The odo is pretty much spot on, within 1% of the expected distance. Both my GPS units, Garmin Geko 201 and a TomTom satnav, give the same speed reading as my Scangauge. The only problem with the GPS is the lag between speed and readout.

Those speed indicator signs are certainly not accurate, at least over here in the UK. Like the speedo they too are also set to read high, although I have found the ones in Oxfordshire, operated by Speedwatch to be spot on, ie matching my GPS speed and not my Toyota speed. If you want some fun phone the highways department and ask them about how they calibrate the signs.

I am sure that having a fast speedo just adds to the number of people tailgating me.

20. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With OEM tires, my speedo matches the roadside signs at two different 5 mile test locations, and the odo looks like it is close also. I expected them to indicate higher than the actual speed/distance. (Tests done at 60mph with a stopwatch.)