1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2 New Toyota Hybrids To Be Revealed May 18

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, May 11, 2020.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    8am PDT/11am EDT
    Link:

I assume it'll be the Sienna and Venza...

Thoughts?

It's possible both will be based on the HiHy's powertrain - 2.5 litre HSD setup. The question is whether a 3.5 litre HSD setup will continue. The reason is that there's still the RXh and will Toyota put a 4-cylinder in a Lexus product or will they continue with the 3.5 litre HSD to differentiate it from the HiHy?

If so, does that mean there'll be multiple versions of the Sienna and Venza? a 4 and 6 cylinder hybrid?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The upcoming Corolla Hot Hatch as a hybrid...

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    venza seemed like a heavy beast, i wonder if there will be weight reduction

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mmmm...Platinum....

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That would really surprise me. Every manufacturer has been investing resources into making amazing next generation I4 engines, apart from maybe Subaru and Mazda. I don't think I would expect Toyota to spend extra on allowing for a V layout, especially following the success of their dynamic force I4.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point. Toyota is the only one left offering a naturally aspirated V6 in their midsize sedan and recently launched midsize SUV.

Subaru no longer has a 6 cylinder (the new Outback uses the 2.4 litre turbo 4 from the Ascent as the upgraded engine). Mazda is working on a new inline 6 cylinder for the next gen Mazda6; it's going to be RWD.

Maybe Toyota will put the multi-stage hybrid system in the next gen RX and give it towing capacity. Rumour has it that the LS600h will return and I don't know if it'll supplement the LS500h or replace it. But either way, giving the RX the multi-stage system will definitely help spread the cost out since the RX is a hot seller.

The new HiHy's system may struggle in the Sienna unless they can reduce the weight significantly. Also, I know they want to hit certain mpg numbers (that's probably one of the reasons for downsizing the HiHy's system from a V6 to a 4 cylinder). A V6 hybrid won't be able to do that so yeah I'll concede that the Sienna will probably get the HiHy's system as long as weight can be kept in check. The new HiHy is stupidly heavy (4,400lbs/2,000kg). Then again, every car has been gaining weight. A Mazda3 weighs almost as much as our loaded Camry from 18 years ago. The Prime is heavier!

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I used to follow hybrid sales, I remember the LS600h was a disaster with less than 20 sold per month.

Bob Wilson

Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife’s Venza was about 175 lbs more than the Camry Hybrid and it was much wider, >3 inches, and taller, ~5.5 inches, than the HyCam. She loved that car but I thought the ride and road noise was a little crude. It had gobs of room in the hatch area.

iPad ? Pro

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    They don't have to use atkinson cams in these, and lately it seems like everyone can get >100hp/L without a turbo.

That applied to anything 2L and up would be enough for respectable handling in a loaded minivan even before you add electric drive via powersplit.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Judging by the lack of available used LS600h, yeah I'd agree as well.

However, the current line up is the LS500 and LS500h (and LS350 in some markets). It doesn't have a V8 or V12 option. I'm not saying it needs those engines, I'm saying it needs an equivalent so compete with the S600, 760i, Jaguar XJ (which apparently will be all electric next gen) and possibly even higher up toward Mercedes-Maybach 600, or Bentley Continental.

The issue with the old LSh was that it was neither as powerful as a V12 nor as fuel efficient as a V6. It had an AWD advantage until Lexus introduced the LS460 AWD, then it basically had no advantage over the gas powered model.

Yeah I love the Venza. Spacious, lots of cubbies and intelligent storage areas, large pano roof and reclining rear seats. Downside is some of the cost cutting (single rear licence plate lights and a few cheaper plastics used compared to the Camry or Highlander, even on upper trim levels) as well as so-so fuel economy on the 4-cylinder (V6 is the better option). Also, a friend said the AWD system didn't help him out that one time - wouldn't spin the rear wheels to get him unstuck.

But there isn't a 2.0 litre engined minivan - they're all 3.5 to 3.8 litre V6s with power approaching 300hp. A 200-250hp minivan will be tough without turbocharging since you won't be able to achieve higher torque figures, no?

Yes you can achieve over 100hp/L but I'm seeing those engine have higher peak rpms for power and torque.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of minivans lately. I'm certain <1.99999L models exist for tax reasons in other markets, but I don't know if any carmakers are getting any benefit from having a "world model" minivan.

Okay, let's look at a 2.5L direct injected rig, theoretically capable of 250hp as is. Now put it on a hybrid power split device with the same range of strengths Toyota has done lately- maybe another 60-70hp at the wheels? That is quite competitive with the 6-cyl models you're describing.

FWD Venza in lower trims was a decent value wagon. Up-trim AWD Venza was pointless once you put it up against an Outback; the Subie outmatched it in nearly every way.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure but they're also significantly smaller than our minivans. A 2.0 litre Estima is probably fine but not a 2.0 litre Sienna imo.

Anything smaller is probably a turbodiesel if I had to guess or even a turbocharged gasoline.

That's true. But would you get the gas mileage that people want in a hybrid? The new HiHy has 243hp net system power. that's competitive with your theoretical 2.5 litre NA 4-cylinder. I would think Toyota wants to target at least 30mpg for the Sienna Hybrid. If they can rework the gearing to get more torque and sacrifice some mpg, this setup could work.

If they went Otto instead to give the power boost, do you think they can achieve 30mpg?

Well the 20" wheels on the Venza V6 doesn't help against the narrower 17 or 18" wheels on the Outback on the trails (plus the higher ground clearance on the Outback vs. Venza).

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The RAV4 made it from ~24mpg on the old (2013ish) 2.4L engine to ~36mpg on the new 2.5 HSD, according to fuelly.com. Granted this is two different crossover bodies vs. a minivan, but I see enough improvement in that RAV4 to think that the same powertrain would do rather well in a future Sienna.

I still say anything over 17" is strictly for appearance. And they came up with a nifty puffy overbuilt aesthetic with that last-generation Venza; this was not lost on me. I figured they were aping the Magnum. But it had a real price in MPG, parking maneuverability and tire replacement costs, and didn't do anything to improve traction for the AWD variant.

Trollbait and Tideland Prius like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hopefully direct plus port injection. Seems like a lot of these mpg improving measures come at the expense of gummed up engines.

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Oh I think that's a given now. It works, it doesn't cost much to add nor to operate a port or throttlebody injector for washdown. The only questions are in tuning it to operate effectively and not wastefully, given that they can't do much in the way of sensory instrumentation. The ECU has to keep the buildup at bay by dead reckoning.

I have the general feeling that everyone has more or less figured this out, it's just a matter of eventually including it as cheaply as possible.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Tell that to recent CRV owners. Honda forgot to include port injection and their tuning has resulted in gas in the oil so that the consensus is now 3k miles between oil changes for urban use.

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't this like launching a cruise ship during a Hurricane?
    Seems like pretty bad timing to be launching two new Hybrids. Gas prices are low, Covid-19 crisis I think has peoples voluntary interest in buying a vehicle almost non-existent

The past decade IMO Toyota has struggled with "how" they want to build and market their Hybrids, outside of just the standard Prius itself.
    10 years back, I heard the goal of Toyota was to offer a Hybrid model for every ICE model they had.
    Then you had the seeming abandonment of that concept, with the birth of the "Prius Family", which now has been killed off like characters in a CLUE game.
    Now it seems Toyota is gravitating back to their original approach which is to offer alternative Hybrid models for existing ICE models.

Not saying these two new Hybrids might not be great.
    I'm really glad to see Toyota still is supporting and promoting the Hybrid platform.

But if it was at all possible, I think I'd delay release of any alternative models right now.
    Gasoline right now is as cheap as I can remember in over a decade. And right now? I think if you have reliable transportation, you probably aren't prioritizing getting new transportation.

However, I'll watch the reveal with interest. And I hope for success.
    I did say the same thing for the Prius V and Prius c.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's called rhetoric and it "seems" you are happy to pass it along. Ugh. Stepping back to look at the big picture, we can confirm Toyota has stayed true to their overall effort to phaseout traditional vehicles and now is the ideal time to make that commitment clear.

Why wouldn't an automaker take a next step at a time when the entire world is forced to re-evaluate anyway? Change is necessary. That should be obvious. It would be bizarre not to take advantage of the opportunity.

With regard to this upcoming reveal. Think about where the market was heading before the pandemic. Sedans were falling out of favor and the industry required platforms which could easily accommodate a decent size battery-pack. Seeing a new vehicle emerge that fits in between Camry and RAV4 makes a lot of sense. It would start out as a hybrid while offering a very easy path to plug-in hybrid. That's sensible business.

In other words, Toyota has weathered many hurricanes already. This is what being prepared for the big one looks like. What other automaker is so well positioned to shed their old traditional vehicles?

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A dynamic force V6 was introduced alongside the four for the Camry.

Rumor also had the the next Tundra getting the multistage hybrid, with the aforementioned V6, possibly with turbo. Trucks were probably the original application of that system.

Ford and GM managed to cut hundreds of pounds off their larger models in the past couple generations. Toyota should be able to do the same.

The investment into development and manufacture have already been made. Delaying longer could cost them more than releasing at this time.

Gas prices in the US were relatively low before the oil market crash, and it didn't hurt Rav4 hybrid sales. i expect Toyota to do the same with the Venza and Sienna as they did for the Rav, make the hybrid AWD only. Then they can hide the hybrid cost, and offer it as a no-brainer upgrade.

toronado455 likes this.
  20. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not to stray to far off the topic, but Toyota is still pushing the hydrogen Marai. Next years model has a more sporty sleek design similar to the Tesla. It seems that Toyota is all over the place and trying to see what will actually take hold in the market.

Trollbait likes this.