1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 Priuses from 1 SKS fob?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by walterm, Apr 27, 2008.

1. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I've seen how folks have described linking a non-SKS fob to a Prius, and since shortly I'm going to be in a 2-Prius family (both with SKS) I was wondering if there was any way for one SKS fob to be able to activate both of the cars, or if I'm going to have to label each fob for the car it's for (fortunately they will be different color cars...), and pick the right one before heading out the door.

As a related question, my wife currently keeps one fob in the bottom of her purse, since she never has to touch it to open/close/drive the car. Will there be any problem with two fobs from two different cars in the bottom of the same purse interfering with each other?

Thanks,
    Walt Morris

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't believe you can use one fob for two cars. Generally the rolling codes get out of sync when you move between cars. I haven't verified this with the Prius, but normally that's how it works.

Two fobs in one purse will not cause each other to respond, so you won't have the same problem as a cell phone and a fob, but both will respond to the car. I suspect it will work okay. If you have any trouble, move them to opposite ends of the purse.

Tom

3. gil

gil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

My wife keeps the fobs from our Prius and Camry hybrid in her purse all the time and both work just fine. You shouldn't have any problems with two together. I don't think you would be successful in using just one for both cars.

4. gil

gil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

My wife keeps the fobs from our Prius and Camry hybrid in her purse all the time and both work just fine. You shouldn't have any problems with two together. I don't think you would be successful in linking just one for both cars.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    this has been a topic of intense discussion over the years. the general consensus is that it is theoretically possible with some caveats, but technically nobody has been able to make it work.