1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 Tranny Fill Ports?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by born2pdl, Dec 16, 2010.

1. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm prepping for the tranny oil/fluid change. I've reviewed some instructions and photos and I've got the car level on jack stands. I also removed the splash guard inside the driver side front wheel so I can see the driver's side/end of the tranny. There is a nice plug there on the side of the tranny, same size and style as the drain plug. Is this also a tranny fluid port? Access to this plug is so easy, what are the chances this plug is at the proper height for filling and checking?

Found some ATF-WS, forgot to get aluminum washers. I'll clean up the originals. New is nice but I've re-used aluminum and copper washers before by block sanding them smooth with 400 grit wet/dry.

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe there is a drain for the coolant fluid and one for the oil. I believe the coolant drain is the largest stop? I haven't got my manual handy so make sure you get the correct one.H

3. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right, drains for coolant and oil adjacent, down low. I'm curious about the side plug, up high facing the driver side strut, same plug and washer as the iol drain plug but without the magnet.

4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The large hex drain plug closer to the engine is for the transaxle coolant. The smaller one that requires a Allen wrench is for the lubricant. Don't worry about that other one. Hope this helps born2pdl H

5. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Remove the check/fill plug on the front side of the transaxle. The fluid level should be within 3/16 "of the bottom the hole. H

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since that plug is not the "correct" plug to be used, I suggest that you compare its height to the height of the correct plug, which is located on the side of the transaxle facing the radiator. Then you can tell us whether you think that plug would be a suitable alternative, thus creating new forum knowledge.

7. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Is it possible to access that plug without removing the splash guard?

8. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This 'new' fill plug is not a good alternative. It's about an inch higher than the main fill plug so it makes it difficult to get the correct fluid level. And a couple of the splash guard fasteners have to be removed to gain access.

So false alarm, ignore the side fill plug.

1 person likes this.