1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 weeks old, and we got our first flat!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Opusnugen, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Opusnugen

Opusnugen New Member

Just got a call from my wife a while ago. Seems our Prius has a flat (right rear). I got her the information on the road side service toll free number, and she is calling them this hour (she and the kids are at the science center today).

Anybody have comments on:
    - road side service
    - tire replacement (in or non-warranty)
    - temporary spare

I am hoping a local dealer less than 10 minutes away can assist on the service. I would assume we will be able to replace this tire with another Goodyear (who else would have this particular model of tire than a Prius dealer? Or a Goodyear dealer?).

Jeez, less than 2 weeks old and our first flat. Hopefully we don't have any vehicle damage, since she drove it several more miles on an interstate to get to the parking lot. :(

I will keep the group posted on our experience.

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Could be just the standard nail/screw in the tire - a few bucks to plug at any service center.

3. jasond

jasond New Member

Most normal flats (puncture in the tread part) can be repaired. Of course, the one flat *I* got was in the sidewall, so the tire needed to be replaced.

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I notice that both Goodrich, Bridgestone and Michelin have tires in size P185/65R15 as well.

I'd be curious what the tire pressure on your tires was. There's a long-lived, ongoing discussion about whether the Prius tires, coming from the dealer, are somewhat underinflated.

As I understand it, underinflated tires make the tires wear down faster. However, I have no idea whether they'd be more susceptible to punctures, etc.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Been there, bumped a curb going around a corner, parked in the grocery store lot thinking nothing about it. Dead flat when I came out of the store. Wouldn't have minded too much except that it was a 1 month old 75K Michelin! Lost both right side tires a couple of years ago when I wacked the curb rather than the guy that went through the intersection starting in the left lane, ending in the right. Both dead flat when I got into the conveniently located parking lot 50 feet down the road. And he had the nerve to blast his horn at ME! At least these were going to be replaced in 6 months anyway.

6. Opusnugen

Opusnugen New Member

Well, here is the first update.

The tire has a large piece of metal in it. It is stuck in the tread, and it is on the edge where the sidewall and the tread meet. Seems they may have picked up a piece of metal from an accident on the highway that they passed. Since she drove it flat for a couple of miles, there is rim damage on the sidewall. The wheel rim was undamaged.

The guy who came out to change it (in the rain), thought that it couldn't be patched. My wife took the car to the nearest local dealer (Ackerman Toyota) and they didn't have a replacement tire (Goodyear). We have one on order from the closest Toyota dealer (Jay Wolfe). Both dealer and our local Firestone dealer quoted the same price for the tire ($87.00) So, we are waiting for it to come in on Monday, and we will have the tire fixed.

7. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

Won't the warranty cover this? I thought it covered road hazards?

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had a flat on my previous car. Sidewall blown out. No way to know the cause. The tire was about a year old. Based on tread wear, they charged me $5 (yes, just five dollars!) for a brand-new tire. Plus I paid for balancing and mounting.

9. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    While I agree that there is probably some bit of road-hazzard to the warranty of the tire, I will note that I've noticed that Toyota has been very competitive with pricing on tires. When I had to get the tires replaced on my '02, the dealer undercut a local "Discount Tire" store who was trying to wheel and deal me. They were also the only one who had an "alternate" OE tire for less $$ available.

I plan on checking with my dealer first when it comes time for new shoes on the '04 should I want to keep the OE tires. They know they can't compete with local tire stores and Costco's if they charge typical dealer prices (the Service Advisor made that specific remark when I was getting my tires). This seems contrary to previous experience with Ford as well.

-Rick

10. Opusnugen

Opusnugen New Member

Not sure. They did come out and put the spare tire on for my wife (during a rain storm, no less) for FREE. But as for the road hazard warranty, they wouldn't be covering a leak caused by picking up a piece of metal.

11. Opusnugen

Opusnugen New Member

Rick,

Thanks for the information on the pricing. We just assumed that we would be able to get a tire a lot sooner from the dealer, than from a local Goodyear tire store (or other source). As it is, we are waiting on the dealer to get back with us. This dealer (Jay Wolfe Toyota of West County) just opened their doors a few months ago, and is the closest dealer to our home. They didn't even have a Prius when I called dealers around town in January. This will be a test to see how the service is. We have another dealer a little farther away from us where we test drove our first car, and they have been in business for decades.

I would be interested in hearing what other owners results would be for replacement tires (OEM or other) when they replace the tires on the 2nd gen Prius. Since we have less than 700 miles on our car, it will be awhile before we are ready for new tires!

12. MSmith

MSmith New Member

Opusnugen wrote:
    Not sure. They did come out and put the spare tire on for my wife (during a rain storm, no less) for FREE. But as for the road hazard warranty, they wouldn't be covering a leak caused by picking up a piece of metal.

rockluvr wrote:
    Won't the warranty cover this? I thought it covered road hazards?

You may want to double check that....My tire was un-repairable due to a road hazard and the dealer replaced the tire. I filed a claim with Toyota Road Hazard warranty included with each new prius and they reimbursed me for a new tire.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    road hazards are defined as pot holes, etc. temp issues are not covered.

if anything was allowed some idiot lawyer could argue that the car his client slammed into at 65 mph caused the flat tire and was a road hazard for being in his client's way.

however, in this suit, the county or governing body in charge of the accident cleanup would be liable.