1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 years today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rflagg, Feb 28, 2006.

1. rflagg

rflagg Member

Well, today marks my 2 year anniversary with my wonderful Black 04 (BC package). Just this morning as well, on my typical 40 mile trek to work, I rolled 47,000 miles. I've had quite a few of the SSCs done - the most recent being the "engine stall" fix, of which I never had any problem, but I fell in the VIN range and got the letter a few months ago.

A few things I haven't had done are the 30,000 maint. and the 45k maint. I'll have the 60k maint. done, but having to pay $200+ for the 15k made me realize the dealership was just after my money there, so I'm not going to have it 'checked' as often, as there is very little for them to check on this car anyways.

Regular oil changes (synthetic, Mobil 1) at 5k, replaced the tires with the same make and model at about 40k because of one seeming to have a slow leak - turns out actually the tire was fine, but I decided to replace them all anyways as they were worn.

Otherwise, this car is simply amazing. Averaging just below 52mpg lifetime, and still loving every minute and every mile of it.

About a month ago, I did rear end a van at about 5 or 7mph - fortunately all I got was a bent up license plate, not even a scratch on the bumper. I really hope this is my only experience with accidents in this car, but I do know it's extremely safe in a collision, so at least I don't have too much concern there.

My Dodge Neon that became the "backup car" (ha! like this one needs one!) would've surely been dead by now, if it had to drive those 47k miles, as it already had 88,000 on it and running rough at that. Plus, with 25mpg at best, that would've been an extra 900 gallons of gas, give or take - at $2.20 a gallon, that's just less than $2,000 - in two years time. I certainly have never second guessed my purchase of this car, and doubt I ever will. I know for a fact that I'll refuse to drive a car that averages less than 50mpg for the rest of my life!

-m.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Congrats on the anniversary.
    Just think, in another two years when the car's still running fine you'll wonder what all the fuss was about two years ago.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hehe. Congrats!

4. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Congratulations!! I took delivery of HUMU exactly two years ago today, so I too share your anniversary.

HUMU has just under 22k; somewhat less per year than many of those posting. No problems. I still find the car a hoot to drive. Added a GPS which makes it even more fun; two screens to watch.

My cousin rented one for a week on a trip and called me on his cell phone to ask a few questions; apparently the rental agency didn't supply a manual. He's now sold on the car and is planning to get one.

Those who are putting miles on their cars might do a favor to the group by sharing any issues that come up. Shouldn't be too many.

B

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Congrats, rflagg. I first refueled Tochatihu on 8/28/01, which was about two weeks in for me. I still remember wondering when that first fuel "pip" was going to drop (I guess the dealer overfilled it!).

Bob, I should not hijack rflagg's thread, but I have 84k miles and have bought tires and a 12 volt battery. I _know_ I'm going to need new windshield wipers, one of these days. Routine maintenance is pretty cheap on Prius, especially with DIY oil change and minor service inspections. I let them change the coolants every 30k miles, just so they will know my face if anything does need fixin'.

The engine control module and one rear wheel bearing were replaced under warranty.

Maybe we should have car anniversaries on this group in addition to driver's birthdays.

6. Stilview

Stilview New Member

My 2 year is coming up sometime this month, as well. I have a bit longer commute in the NOVA area. I rolled over 79,000 miles this weekend. Crossing my fingers for no more MFD problems!