1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 yrs later and I'm back to PC

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Hostage46, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Hostage46

Hostage46 New Member

Hi folks,

It's been about 2 years since I attempted to buy a Prius. Back in '06 I couldn't even find one to drive much less deal on one. A Touring addition with all the bells and whistles was going to be in the $30K range out the door, with high demand and dealer games. I really liked the technology and the car, but could not justify the arithmetic.

I ended up with a '06 Civic sedan with nav, terrific car, gets north of 30 MPG, looks and handles great. I recently road in a Civic Hybrid, not impressed with the mileage, seems like it should be better.

So I'm back. The Civic is approaching two years old and I've decided I'm tired of folding down the seats in the civic, I need something with a hatchback to haul around my very big and clumsy Radio Control Sailplanes.

I started looking at the CRV, very nice style, reasonable mileage for it's class. Then it occurred to me that I could accomplish my objectives with a Prius. So I popped in on Priuschat and after a bit if surfing I come away encouraged ...
    1) there are more cars available
    2) it's generally a buyers market for cars with the economy
    3) gas is pricey, but not yet crazy, so folks aren't leaving the Yukon along the road and walking to the Toyota dealer

Is it true that I can get a touring version at around invoice?

I can't keep the packages straight, some pointers please? I want the pretty basic options, Blue Tooth, leather, good sound system, back up camera. I do NOT want the nav system, after market units have more features and can go on business trips! (unless the Toyota nav incoprorates traffic and can be used while moving?)

Is there a package that would fit these needs? Can I add leather without buying the all options for instance

Finally, what is new in the '08 compared to the '06 when I last looked?

thanks in advance for the info....

Dan in Dallas...

2. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Welcome back!

I'll have to let others chime in with more specifics, but I believe your thoughts are basically correct. I know people were getting them down around invoice a few months ago, I'm not sure if thats changed with gas spiking recently. My dealer had 8-10 on the lot last time I was in. In general the cars are continuing to sell very well, but production seems to have picked up so there's finally enough supply. I don't think you'll find any major differences since you were last looking. I think the traction control may have gotten a minor revision to make it less touchy on slippery slopes, an I'm sure there are a few other little things I'm forgetting. I think some of the options have now become standard, like side airbags, and I'm sure the option packages have all been rearranged several more times. People are generally getting high 40s in terms of an overall average for mileage, though plenty on this list are learning to push that into the 50s and even 60s. There have been some good tricks learned about improving winter mileage and handling. Battery longevity is turning out to be much less of a concern than some originally feared. Reliability in general has proven to be excellent, to the point where Consumer Reports just named it the least expensive family car in terms of actual ownership costs. I believe there is a mostly cosmetic update coming in 2009, and the expectations are that 2010 will be the major mechanical update perhaps even the roll out of a plugin option.

Rob

3. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BTW, I think what you are looking for is a package 3 or 4:
    2008 Toyota Prius Vehicle Brochure

Not sure if you can get leather without going all the way to package 6 with NAV though. If not factory leather, you should be able to get dealer installed leather.

Rob

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know how much longer it's going to be a buyer's market. Might not even be one anymore.

Whenever the price of gas goes up, the demand for Prii goes up as well. And when they're selling, it's harder to deal. But it's easier to deal now than it was a few years ago.

Good luck.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, in 2008, people have been reporting prices that were near invoice (which, btw, is a tricky, variable term) or around $2000 less than MSRP. But back in 2006, you were possibly eligible for a $3150 tax credit.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Dan. The best way to get a handle on packages available in Dallas is to go to Toyota.com and "build your own" Prius (button right under the search box). You put in your zip code so it only shows you options that are actually available to you, and you can mix and match to get what you want. The Touring model goes full up fast, so aftermarket or dealer leather is what you want if you don't want Nav.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You've over-constrained the problem: touring, bluetooth, leather, and upgraded sound are not basic. Ditch that stuff, play the many fine regional Toyota dealers against each other, and be prepared to wait for a while for delivery, and you can get a much better price.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome back!!

You can't get leather unless you go for the full load package.

Check out the KB section. My sticky has info for all the years. You can check under "Changes" for 2007 (compared to 2006) and then check "Changes" for 2008 (compared to 2007) to get all the new updates Toyota did for those two model years over the 2006 model.

9. BuzzardBait

BuzzardBait New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We found an 08 with:

Package #2: which includes Vehicle Stability Control:
    Backup Camera; Smart Key System; Am/Fm Cd W/6 Speakers~Aux
    Audio Input Miniplug~And Mp3/Wma Playback Capability.
    15" Alloy Wheels With Trim Ring;Tonneau Cover; Seatback Pockets.

The Extra Mile Option Package A:
    includes
    Custom Tape Stripe~Cargo Net~First Aid Kit~Mud
    Guards~Rear Bumper Protector~Fabric
    Guard~Carpet Mat Set~Wheel Locks~Glass Break
    Sensor~Carpet Floor Mats~Trunk Mat~Road Hazard
    Tire Warranty~(3 Years / 36,000 Miles)~Roadside
    Assistance (3 Yrs/36,000 Miles)~The Extra Mile​
    Service Rewards Program~(5 Years / 60,000 Miles)

Leather Upgrade Package.

We didn't want all the extra high end gadgets and this was perfect.
    Got it in Dallas for much less than MSRP also.