1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

20,000 more troops, how crazy is that?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Beryl Octet, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    http://www.buzzflash.com/articles/interviews/049

I think what he does is he turns everybody who disagrees with him into his father. It doesn’t matter whether it’s actually the concrete representation of his father, like Baker, or the voters who vote against staying in Iraq. We have become his father. We are the people he is now defying. He will turn everybody, any authority, anybody who disagrees with him, into a father figure who he’d have to defy. -- Justin A. Frank, M.D.

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 3 2007, 10:49 AM) [snapback]370201[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds to me like he is making his own decisions and not just reading polls and making decisions from them. Something the last president was famous for... :huh:

Wildkow

3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

What a total failure, at our troops' and our country's expense. Just when you think it can't get any worse....

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 3 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]370206[/snapback]</div>
    That's certainly an admirable quality in a President. It needs to be tempered, however, by the ability to adapt to changing situations and information. Is our adventure in Iraq making sense to you? Would you want your son or daughter in the Army in Baghdad right now? What exactly does "victory" look like, and how will 20,000 more troops achieve it? By way of disclosure, I do have close relatives in the armed forces, and I'm not wanting them to get killed over an apparent delusion. After all, Mission Accomplished was three and a half years ago, Saddam's dead, bring them on home.

Some more of the interview in question:

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 3 2007, 01:49 PM) [snapback]370201[/snapback]</div>
    That must be that newfangled NEW WAY FORWARD we've heard so much about. Evidently, the old way forward wasn't working out too well.

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 3 2007, 02:23 PM) [snapback]370221[/snapback]</div>
    I've heard that one can turn a lie into the truth, if only one believes...

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "The limitations, however, of doing it without knowing the person personally is that I don’t get to use a firsthand relationship with the patient, which is really essential to a good psychoanalysis."
    - Justin A. Frank, M.D.

He never says he overcame those limitations. So in other words, he disclaims that this is bad psychoanalysis? :lol:

"I was concerned that I had built in antipathy towards President Bush that I worried would make it much harder for me to do a balanced psychoanalytic approach to him. So I was worried about being a prisoner of my counter-transference, if you will."
    - Justin A. Frank, M.D.

He is past president of the Greater Washington Chapter of Physicians for Social Responsibility.
    http://www.authortracker.ca/author.asp?a=a...rid&b=28048

OMG! Are we to now actually believe this guy overcame his "antipathy towards President Bush�??? :eek: <_<

Physicians for Social Responsibility is a non-profit advocacy organization that is the medical and public health voice for policies to stop nuclear war and proliferation and to slow, stop and reverse global warming and toxic degradation of the environment.

http://www.psr.org/site/PageServer?pagename=PSROVERVIEW

Maybe someone needs to do a psychoanalysis on Dr. Frank. :wacko:
    What is his true motivation???? :huh:
    Did he do a psychoanalysis on President Clinton too?
    Have we heard about it?
    WHY NOT???
    Hmmmmm. The non-gullible want to know. :blink:

8. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 3 2007, 02:40 PM) [snapback]370235[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, freedom is slavery yada yada yada :lol:

9. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Jan 3 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]370210[/snapback]</div>
    Junior and The neocons who placed him into office have TWO MORE YEARS to continue to screw us. Remember, they don't care about you or your country. They care about themselves and their bank accounts at the expense of the rest of the world. Oh, it can and will get a lot worse. The worst part of it all? They'll walk scot free leaving a trail of tears (part II) for the rest of the world to clean up (from which they'll benefit).

10. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for researching the doctor, I had no idea of his background. Anyway, Sufferin' Prius Envy, does 20,000 more troops in Iraq seem like a good idea to you? Why or why not?

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 3 2007, 03:52 PM) [snapback]370305[/snapback]</div>
    the answer to that question depends upon the definitions of our goals and that is the important topic - not the number of troops - is what is it we are trying to accomplish - define the mission and the goals.

12. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jan 3 2007, 03:29 PM) [snapback]370283[/snapback]</div>
    Has anyone done the figures on how much uncle Dick is going to make on this little war? I had heard a couple of years ago that the Bush family alone will make over a billion dollars.

13. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 3 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]370307[/snapback]</div>
    That's an excellent question. Wish someone would ask the President.

14. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 3 2007, 12:52 PM) [snapback]370305[/snapback]</div>
    Being one who doesn't have all the answers . . . unlike some on this board, there is no way for me to give an intelligent, thought out answer to that question. (or anyone else on this board for that matter)

Wasn't one of the complaints of some on the left that we had too few troops in Iraq?

As a mid-level ranked sailor, it was not my job to make policy decisions - just take orders, pass them on and make sure they were carried out. What didn't make sense to me made sense to those of a higher rank with more information on the subject . . . . that's all I needed to know.

But I do know BS when I see it. ;)

15. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jan 3 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]370331[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for your answer. I think Iraq is not headed towards a happy ending, no matter what, so why risk more lives for whatever he thinks it should be. And in 2007, I'd hope we all know BS when we see it, oh yes, indeedy. :)

16. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jan 3 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]370331[/snapback]</div>
    No one blames the guys in the military who are put in the line of fire. :)

17. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 3 2007, 04:43 PM) [snapback]370339[/snapback]</div>
    I certainly hope I didn't give that impression, I have nothing but respect for our troops. It's the CIC that I have a problem with.

18. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    onward christian soldier...

19. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 3 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]370307[/snapback]</div>
    Haven't the mission and goals been defined --- and redefined --- a number of times already? If this was a football game, the field would be between ten and one thousand yards long...depending on whom you ask and when.

Just change the problem to match our solution, and off we go.

Can you tell us, please, what you believe our (current) goals in Iraq are; how the administration measures success and failure, and what their proposed exit strategy is?

Then let's look at our current response and see how close expectations and reality really are.

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 3 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]370339[/snapback]</div>
    NO ONE??? :huh:

Is that why I was called a “hate monger†while in uniform at the San Francisco and Seattle airports? :huh:
    . . . and why Vietnam era troops were spat upon and called baby killers?

Something to read about anti-military behavior . . .
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../cstillwell.DTL

Sure, MOST don't think that way, but many on the left think of members of the military as misguided, ignorant, uneducated automatons.
    Is that why they aren't blamed?????

Maybe the “Keep your Dogs and Sailors off the Lawn†signs I saw in Norfolk, Virginia were actually a friendly warning to sailors to watch out for dog poop . . . since military base housing lawns don't have dog poop problems. :rolleyes:
    Yeah, that's it, I got it all wrong. ;)