1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

200,000 Plug-Ins sold in USA

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wjtracy, May 6, 2014.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Last nite, stopped by Plug-In America to see the Plug-in-o-Meter count going to 200,001!

By my math that's (end April 2014):
    59,380 Volts
    49,375 Leafs
    29,875 Prius PiPs
    25,200 Tesla Model-S
    36,170 Others (Fords, etc.)

I leave it to discussion as to significance, but a couple of thoughts: My feeling is Plug-Ins are here to stay, but the large incentives seem to "driving" the sales so far. Especially the CA free HOV access for Plug-Ins seems to be the single biggest sales driver. Not only does this help the CA smog, but the car dealers are having a great time selling cars in CA (good for business). I wish my state would move more in this direction, if for no other reason to stimulate car sales. As far as concerns, the gains in Plug_in sales in 2014 to some extent coming at the expense of hybrid sales, which are way down in 2014 hopefully temporarily. Also every year the % Plug_ins sold in CA keeps going up, I am thinking we are close to an estimated 50% CA YTD 2014 up from 44% in 2013 -- we'll probably have to wait to year end to get official CA plug-in sales for 2014.

2. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice! ;)
    It looks like we're right on track to hit the Obama administration's goal of 1,000,000 by 2015! :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, though, I would be pleased with plug-in sales so far if it wasn't for that (apparently overly) ambitious target. 2020 seems more likely.

I've read that plug-in sales have grown faster than hybrids at similar points in their introduction, and look at where hybrids are now - completely accepted as mainstream.
    I'll try and link find the article to link to.

I believe the plug-in adoption rate is greater than hybrids were in not just absolute numbers sold, but also as a % of new car sales.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sadly, vital bits of information were left out of that claim. Toyota restricted supply for the first 3 years and Prius could only be purchased via special-order for the first 1.5 years. There was no tax CREDIT available either. All we got was a DEDUCTION, amounting to around $400. That's a far cry from the $2,500 to $7,500 plug-ins get. The entire industry is trying to deliver something with a plug now too. That most definitely wasn't the situation with hybrids. The anti-hybrid propaganda was quite intense.

Even more sad, that "completely accepted" is something I really wish that was true. Unfortunately, I run into the "not interested" attitude on a very regular basis. They'll usually make some comment about cost or battery-life, then change the subject. That kind of dismissal is all too real still.

The 200,000 is good news regardless. We knew it would be much slower than the hype and sadly slower than the support. Oh well, progress is progress. And in the meantime, we're generating lots of real-world data.

Scorpion likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the economy isn't helping. gas prices will be artificially low until there is an improvement.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well at least the goal will be met, just late.
    When it comes to presidential goals in SOTU
    A Brief History of Presidential Promises to End US Oil Addiction, by Jon Stewart (Video) : TreeHugger
    Carters goal to end imported oil by the year 2000, would be great if it was only 5 years late. Unfortunately he did keep his promise to increase coal. Nixon, Ford, Regan,Bush 41, and Clinton also didn't come close. Bush 43 and Obama made lesser progress, and unlike the previous 6 presidents, they still have a chance of keeping part of the promise;)

Exactly true, but.... Hybrids have not reduced much us oil use. Hopefully a decade from now plug-ins + hybrids will.

Absolutely true, and it is true world wide also, no matter which numbers you crunch. The participation rate is much higher in plug-ins than hybrids, at similar time frame there was only honda and toyota, now we have the top tier of Nissan, Chevy, Toyota, tesla, and ford but 8 other players.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    30k PIP's (well nearly)? Wow. That just shows that people want and like them. I wish Toyota UK hadn't over priced them as they did. They've sold the grand total of 957 in 2 years here. Considering our petrol costing over $8 a US gallon and adjusting the sales totals against population size, it's still a pathetic total.

Apparently Toyota UK are now struggling to shift the old model PIP before the new 2015 Prius models come out. No sympathy :)

7. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does anyone know how many PHV Prii were sold in Canada to date?

8. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  9. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think toyota wants to sell the car where it is cold where you are, and where it hot where I am. I don't know how many dealers in canada sell the car, but its 0 in texas by Toyota's choice.

11. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All dealers in Canada sell them, or can order them, as far as I know.

austingreen likes this.