1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

200-300MPG, Infinite Range

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by andyprius, May 30, 2008.

1. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yesterday evening I found the perfect way to spend my Tax Rebate. I put an order in for a Aptera. Go to thier site and put in an order, it is totally refundable. AMERICAN and the best product I see out there. Since production starts this year, but completion of ones order will take at least a year, we have plenty of time to consider other options. I urge all Prius chat members ( CA only ) to look into this car and support a totally AMERICAN product. If by some very remote chance some other company comes up with a better product I will consider that too. Even another Prius. My order number is 2641. Andy:)

2. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I want to have one of those by yesterday. I live in Maryland though, so it sounds like I'll have to wait a few years. I love my Prius, but if I could go out at lunch and trade it in for one of those, I'd be driving an Aptera home tonight.

I think it is FANTASTIC that a small company is make huge strides like this, and that the car is priced to be affordable to many people. Hopefully this spurs other companies to pursue similar endeavors.

3. rpiereck

rpiereck Regenerator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I so want an Aptera too, maybe that will be my next car!!

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Andy, if you truely get one of these I will pay you to let me take a ride! lol

5. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Taking a ride, I will allow. What I'm really afraid of is numerous, questions and touching of vehicle, possibly even stealing. So when parked outside ( which will be seldom ) I will keep it covered. I'll have to wait about a year first for delivery. Aside from great mileage and environment issues I think that as many Americans and of course Prius owners should support this company. IT IS AMERICAN MADE! Don't know what to do with your tax rebate..........put $500 down to reserve your Aptera. It's fully refundable, you can change your mind right up until notice of completion. IF......a better product comes along....buy that! I suspect that since it will only be sold in California there may be a very high premium on the car, above its purchase price. Do look at thier site and consider this car. BTW if anybody knows how to transfer the Aptera site to Prius Site, please do it, I could not get it to cooperate. ty andy:)

6. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    (Set to music)
    They're the Jetsons! They can rocket to the future, they can rocket to the moon, they can work on jupiter, or play on neptune.
    Machines do the working, machines do run, if they need anything they push a button and it's done.
    Their house is in the heaven, the free way is in the sky, but their feet are on the ground 'cause they're just regular guys.
    Judy's got a boyfriend, Elroy's got his theme, Jane's shopping and George has got mister Spacely. They're the Jetsons!

"Ruh-roh!"
    "Jane! Stop this crazy thing!"
    "Help, Heelllppp, Heeellllpppp!"

ZC1

7. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i would like it better with 4 wheels. more stable

8. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    At the Aptera site they quote the car as being very stable. Incidently, I think it also has a wider stance, in proportion to the average sedan. Remember......A triangle is stronger than a quadrangle, thats why you see triangles everywhere in building costruction. :cool:

9. MagneticGrayIndy

MagneticGrayIndy 06Prius;94M Miata;65Rambler770

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    300 mpg?... wow.. a ten gallon tank could go coast to coast with no fill up.. an empty two litre bottle for (you know)... and you could go without stopping!

10. penbed

penbed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have been watching Aptera for a long time.
    They started with a diesel but could not meet emission standards.
    Bet they are glad now!
    I got tired of waiting so I went for a Prius,glad I did.
    This car has it all,good mpg,lots of room, looks and fantastic reliability figures.
    Maybe sometime in the next few years my second green car will be Aptera.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The wide stance accomodates Senators from western states.:D

12. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Unfortunately, I think the wide stance is going to haunt Aptera owners with constant dings and people running into them (literally) or driving into them, not to mention bicyclists and motorcyclists that are taken by surprise. Think your parking spaces are tight to maneuver in now? Wait 'til you get in the Aptera and have an extra couple of feet (approx) dangling out to each side.

Don't get me wrong... I love the Aptera. I just wish they would slim it down at least so that the front wheels fit within the footprint of the body of the vehicle.

13. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It looks like a Cessna without wings.

ZC1

14. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It looks like the hybrid will have a range of 600 miles, since the expected mileage is 300mpg I going to assume that car has a 2 gal gas tank, which is plenty in this case.

15. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know what the physical specifications are yet, when I say wide, I mean in proportion to its overall design, which does not mean wider OR narrower than the average sedan. On thier site, the test drive shows average width in thier lane.

16. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  17. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so.. you think your prius moves around a lot? how fast are they going anyway?

18. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Agreed, we don't know the actual dimensions. However, take a look at the picture head-on:
    [​IMG]

Two humans can sit side by side, comfortably inside the vehicle. And just doing a quick measurement 'by eye', it would appear that within the cross-section of the vehicle as viewed head-on, an additional seat for a human could easily fit on each side, within the envelope of the outriggers. That makes four humans sitting side-by-side across, comfortably. I don't know too many sedans that are capable of that, so unless it's meant for really slim humans, I think it's safe to say that this vehicle is considerably wider than a standard sedan.

19. Yak18

Yak18 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A couple things, first here's the website so you don't have to google it. Aptera Next, it looks like it only holds two people. There's a very limited market for a two person car. Count out anybody with kids. I'm fearless, but I'd never get my wife in that thing.

Yak

20. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't really think that's a limiter, though. Most families with kids have at least two vehicles. Both vehicles get used for commuting to work during the day. The family would really only need one of the two vehicles to carry the kids, while the other could be an Aptera or similar vehicle that would be used strictly for commuting.