1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2000 Imported Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Dave09, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Dave09

Dave09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all

have had my Prius for about 2yrs and pretty pleased with it just a few questions I would like to ask everyone

1.When I am waiting at a junction and it is on Battery I loose power when trying to accelerate until the petrol kicks in then off we go is that normal?

2. On the display which shows gear selection it as p,n,r,d and B does anyone know what the B is for?

3. And finally it is a Japanese import and of course all the info on screen is in japenese someone said if I go to Toyota they have the software to change this to English is this the case and does anyone know how much it will cost

The car didnt come with a user manual and I cant seem to get hold of one anywhere!

Thank you everyone nice to read all the info everone as put on:D

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1. Yes, this sounds like normal operation.

2. "B" is for braking, it means engine braking where the engine is used to help slow the car. Sort of like low range on a conventional automatic transmission. On the Prius it is not needed and probably shouldn't be used unless you are comming down a long steep hill with a fully charged battery. You can put more energy back into the battery by using regenerative braking with the foot brake pedal. There are quite a few topics devoted to the use of B mode, here is one for example: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...on/55221-mountain-driving-b-mode-braking.html

3. Can't help you with this one, I suggest posting a question in the Gen1 Prius forum: Generation 1 Prius Discussion - PriusChat Forums

A .pdf owner's manual for your car may be available here: Toyota Owners Online | Official Toyota Owners Website You will need to enter your car's VIN then it should let you download the owner's manual one chapter at a time.

EDIT: Ops, just noticed you are from the UK, that Toyota Owner's Online site may not work for you and you would only get the US/Canadian owner's manual anyway. Maybe there is a UK version of the site?

3. Dave09

Dave09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tom

Thank you so much for your reply its cleared a few things up

Cheers
    Dave

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hi Dave, I also suggest that you visit the yahoo group called Mk1_Prius because it is the largest net-group of owners of that model.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's a Japanese import from 2000 it's very likely that rarest of creatures, an NHW10 - the Original model. There is very unlikely to be an English translation - the NHW10 was only sold in Japan.

Toyota dealers probably won't touch it with the proverbial bargepole.

6. Dave09

Dave09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for that its a good job my dad owns a garage then by the sounds of it!!:mad:

7. pipkinz88

pipkinz88 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. Not sure if this is the right thread to post in but thought it would be helpful as I previously had a 2000 imported prius which I absolutely loved. It was a NWH11 which is actually gen 2? Anyway the hybrid battery died on me last september. It drove like normal, just the hybrid would not kick in. I did notice before that while going slow in traffic I couldn't put the gear in neautral when the battery icon on the dash shows low bar as a loud beeping sound would warn me. Then one day in september, started the car and the dreaded car with the big exclamation mark flashes on the screen. Took it to Toyota dealer and they confirmed it needed a new hybrid battery at the cost of just over £1000. The mechanic did say it is rare for them to go and the car had done just under 80,000mls. Helpfully he also mentioned that the british equivalent was subject to a recall and that I should check with head office to see if mine was too. So I called Head office and at first some girl on the line was really defensive, demanding I give her the name of the mechanic who gave me incorrect info etc, etc. I politely told her that I just want to clarify wether my car was subject to a recall. She gave me the impression not to get my hopes up and that they have to request this info from japan and it would take several months. I couldn't wait that long as the mot was up so I had the car scrapped. Guess what..just got a letter from Toyota confirming that my car was subject to a recall and that they will cover all the cost to have the battery fixed!!!
    This was the official response: "Under this campaign, it is necessary to repair the HV battery due to the possibiloy of a small amount of electrolyte leakage developing around one of the hybrid battery terminals. Whilst this presents no danger to you or your passengers, it could cause a warning light to illuminate."

I suggest other owners of imported priuses should check wether their vehicle was subject to this recall and have the potential problem rectified before the problem actually occurs. It is too late for me but hopefully this will help other owners as these cars are very efficient.

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's one of the chances you take by purchasing a second hand imported vehicle. One of the reasons why they're so much cheaper than a UK model.

I am surprised they were going to look at ANY warranty claim by it is sad that the vehicle was scrapped.

9. pipkinz88

pipkinz88 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I was gutted when I had to get rid of the car. Even more so now after Toyota say they would cover the cost!!:eek: I had owned it for about 4 years. Also I was really suprised that they actually responded at all! Given the initial response from the british Toyota head office and that the vehicle was 10 years old.:p
    Most main dealers wouldn't even touch an import with a barge pole, however I did discover that all the hybrid systems, be it import or not, is exactly the same so they were able to just plug the diagnostic equipment in.