1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 -2003 Error Codes

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by alohanol, May 13, 2009.

1. alohanol

alohanol New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HI:

I just purchased a 2003 Prius in apparently good condition. Replaced the old smaller battery and replaced it with a larger battery tray and larger battery (CarQuest Sealed Model 2660) which exactly fits inside the left rear fender.

After filling it up, about a mile away from the auction site , I started to drive away and the red alert triangle came up, and the car would not gop faster than 13 MPH. There were two icons showing in the window: a "Main Battery" icon in the center and another icon with two letters, something like PM or PC on the left side of the screen

I need to get a compatible OBDII reader to see if I can findout what is happening and determine if I should take the car to the shop or have it towed home.

Can anyone suggest what to do? I have some experience with older cars, Nuclear submarines and Aircraft Carriers and am HAPPY to buy an OCDII once I kno which model to get.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope your new battery is properly vented as the OEM battery...

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Unfortunately none of the commercial OBDII readers (known to me) will show you some of the proprietary Toyota codes and subcodes. There is a good chance that those are involved so I suggest a slooow drive or tow to a Toyota shop and get a complete readout from them.

Sorry I can't decode the screen display you describe. But stick with it and tell us what you find out.

By the way, I wish we knew the location of Graham Davies miniscanners in the possesion of Priuschat or yahoo PTS members.

Oh and welcome 1st time poster.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since it sounds like you have a traction battery problem, I suggest that you have your local Toyota dealer service dept retrieve all DTC and give you a diagnosis. This should cost one hour of labor time.

If it is confirmed that the traction battery is the problem, then you may be able to purchase a salvage battery and DIY replacement if your experience includes working on high voltage / high current circuits.

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I believe that the 'oh-s***' DTCs that Patrick fears would not be reported by generic OBDII code readers.