1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 AGM battery replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SEaton, Jan 15, 2016.

1. SEaton

SEaton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I am sure this is the wrong area, I can't see an area for the old prius here.
    My daughter left her car at the airport (in winter grrrr) and now is having issues. It seems like the 12v battery and the car had a new main battery a year ago hope we didn't hurt that expensive sucker.

Anyways, hoping for the best, going to put a 12v in it. The dealer will put one in for 200 + 25.
    I know the car needs an AGM vented battery, what specs do I need ? I know the yellowtops have been used in the past, I know battery tender has a 480 Cold Cranking amp Lithium battery ?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you buy the correct battery from the dealer and install yourself. I don't believe Optima makes the correct battery for Classic Prius.

You need a battery with the positive terminal on the right side, when looking at the battery with the terminals closest to you.

I also suggest that you inspect the currently-installed 12V battery so that you know what you are dealing with. The original equipment battery has the very small diameter JIS-standard posts. Toyota found that battery had marginal capacity, and had the dealer parts depts stock an alternative battery made by Panasonic. That battery has SAE-standard posts and is wider than original, hence the battery post connectors and the battery tray had to be replaced when that battery was substituted.

#2 Patrick Wong, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016