1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Battery Question

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by baja454, Feb 1, 2010.

1. baja454

baja454 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I am new to this board and new to the Prius. I have bought an '01 to fix up and keep as a daily driver. It was diagnosed by the Toyota dealer as needing the traction battery replaced before I got it. I have been driving it a little and it run on battery alone for about 1 city block when starting from a stop. I was able to find a battery pack from a nearby salvage yard. Before I swap the battery packs, I took the cover off to measure the total voltage which was 289v. 289 volts divided by 38 batteries is 7.06 volts per battery. On 1 side of the battery pack I measured from one terminal block to the next terminal, which is 2 batteries at a time, and measured 15.19 in all but the last 2 which were 15.20 volts. Is this good enough to consider this pack acceptable to install without taking all the terminal blocks off to measure each individual battery? How can I do a simple load test to try and find a weak battery?

Thanks

2. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome!

Sounds like those are in good shape. My battery is fine and shows .1 volt difference between the highest and lowest modules. Yours shows .01 difference. Can I have your battery?

I don't think you need to do a load test because the voltage is so even. These batteries have a much more robust chemistry than lead acid and the Prius "babies" them. They will wake up nicely after a long time dormant if they have not been discharged too far.

Is there any corrosion on the terminals? That's something you should take care of before you put it in. Common problem on the gen 1 in hot or hilly country.

It will be interesting to see how bad the original pack is since you are still able to drive it. Is it throwing codes?

Check a couple of terminals and pop that baby in there. That's my two cents.

3. baja454

baja454 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    There is green corision on 1 terminal, it's the 1st one closest to the comparment that holds the electronics.

It is showing the yellow triangle and the PS but my scangauge II does not show any codes.

The main battery appears to be orginal, the previous owner that put most of the miles on it never replaced it. I put it on a battery tender and after a couple days I did get a green light, but I think I might replace it anyway since reading some of the posts that say a weak 12v battery can cause some issues.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There is growing evidence that the electrolyte leak from terminals in the NHW11 modules can cause a P3009 code even though the modules still have service life. You may be able to clean the corrosion but more importantly, the electrolyte seepage to the case and restore the pack to service.

I would still keep the salvage pack and take time to refurbish it ... clean modules and terminals. You might contact "Re-InVolt" and look at their product offerings. Replacing the NHW11 modules with NHW20 modules would give you an excellent replacement battery.

Bob Wilson

5. baja454

baja454 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I briefly looked at Re involt... Is it a drop in replacement or is there mods that need to be done like to the battery box?

6. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most dealers don't go past the codes when they do a check. "Code p3009? Oh dear. You need a new battery. $3009 please." There is a TSB out to clean and reseal the terminals for free if a customer asks but if the customer does not know then the dealer will just say you need a new battery. The voltage leak code P3009 Bob mentioned may point to that. I seem to think that this TSB can be asked for at any time even past warranty but I could be wrong on that.

It seems strange that you don't get a code on the scanguage though. Does the check engine light stay on while in ready mode?

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If a traction battery ECU DTC was logged, the ScanGauge is not going to pick that up. If you're lucky, that device will report engine ECU DTCs.

It sounds like the OP has a good salvage battery, once the corrosion is cleaned off.

OP's post #3 says that a PS warning has appeared. I assume that is on the MFD?

That means that the electric power steering has a problem (the Classic Prius electric steering gear is a known fault area), so the vehicle may have more than one issue. Does the steering wheel shake while the car is being driven?

8. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine has the same PS symbol every time the warning lights come on (like when 'im doing "experiments") but my PS is fine and I never get a code.

I think that it's just a generic warning screen. Are the symbols greybatt, greyPS, red car! That's what I get any time it goes off which is only when I make it.

But if it shakes...that's the "wiper" issue , right Patrick?

9. baja454

baja454 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes, the PS warning is on the MFD. The sterring wheel does not shake but it does have a very slight growl when the wheel is turned to the left a little.

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. The variable resistors within the electric steering gear are dirty, so that confuses the steering ECU and results in steering wheel shaking.

11. baja454

baja454 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I removed the original traction battery tonight and it has a lot of corision on the terminal blocks and signs of leakage. The total voltage was 296v. What should the total voltage be for a good charged pack?

12. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a good voltage. I just went out and checked the Graham scanner and I get 282V and an SOC of 52%

What do the blocks read?

13. baja454

baja454 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I measured a pair at a time again, only because I have to much stuff in my garage that i can't to the other side of the battery to remove the covers, and most of them were 15.55 but others were 15.45, 15.52, 15.65. This visual inspection of this battery is far worse than the salvage yard one. I'm wondering if the terminal block TSB was never done on this pack...

14. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    .2V max difference. Hmm. That does not sound that bad but let's see what the experts have to say.

I'll be doing this at some point too so It's good to know.

There is a cell balancing procedure that the dealer can do. It's in a TSB meant for when the cars arrive but I don't see why they can't do it for us now. It takes about 30 minutes plus set up time. I'd do it myself but you need the special Toyota service computer to do it.

15. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My min/max is 15.24 15.45.

2.1V diff.

Should I be worried?

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The diff is 0.21V. Hey, if the car works, then don't worry. :D

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The total voltage sounds OK, as well as the module pair voltage you measured. I assume that the reason the traction battery ECU logged a DTC in your case is due to the leakage and corrosion, causing DTC P3009. If you see electrolyte touching the metal battery case, then there would be a high voltage leak for sure.

18. baja454

baja454 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I put the salvage yard battery pack in tonight and the first 2 times I started the car all was fine, no codes or errors at all, but then on the third time I went into the diagnosis mode on the MFD to see what that was all about. I didn't see anything to useful in there and I couldn't figure out how to get back to the main screen so I shut off the car. A little later I started the car again and I imediately got 3 errors across the MFD, PS-Main-Triangle and motor shuts down by it's self. I started it again with the same results. I then tried pressing down on the accelerator and maybe keep the rpm's up and it finaaly kept running. The battery gauge on the MFD shows 1/2 charged and it shows the charge going from the motor to the battery for about a minute. Do I need to drive the car to try to get the batteries charged?

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It probably would be a good idea to force charge the traction battery by making the Prius READY, shifting to D, pressing hard on the brake pedal with your left foot, then flooring the accelerator pedal with your right foot. Since you are holding the car stationary with the brake, all engine power is diverted into MG1 which causes the traction battery to charge. Suggest that you stop once the traction battery gauge shows 75%.

Then, see if you still have warning lights appear. If not, take the car for a drive (30-40 miles) and see what happens.

If you continue to get the PS warning icon, try turning the steering wheel full counterclockwise, then full clockwise, a few times - in an attempt to clean the torque sensor potentiometers. That might give temporary relief.

20. baja454

baja454 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Is that hard on the drivetrain to hold the brake and the accelerator?