1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Breakdown

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MARK189, Sep 12, 2006.

1. MARK189

MARK189 New Member

I bought a Used 2001 Prius with 93k on it and put 5K with no problems. Today I go to the dentist and when I leave the check engine light is on so I try to drive it to the dealer and it acts as if it is running out of gas even though I have half a tank. It acts like it is going to die so I turn on a side street and it comes to a complete stall and won't do anything and I subsequently push it to the side.

Hour and a half later Mr AAA shows up and says maybe just play with the shifter and it will run OK; this did not work in reverse as it did nothing but he was able to drive it forward to get it on the tow truck. Once we hauled it to the dealership it was acting normal.

Can anyone help? I guess there was software problems causing stalls in the past?

Help!!!

I will find out what Toyota 101 has to say tomorrow.

I owned it less than 3 months and already I have it towed. If I wanted that i would have bought a used BMW!

Thanks
    Mark :(

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure all the recalls were done on it... Toyota should have a record of that based on the VIN. Other than that, they'll be able to pull codes from the car as to why this happened. if you get those and post them here, someone can post explainations of the codes.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Kinda late asking, I have been on the road all week. Is there update info on this? It could be something as simple as a partially disconnected ignitor wire.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Search for "Big Hand Syndrome". Owners coined that name, since it reflects the very sensation you described.

It's something that some of the earlier Classic models ended up having to deal with. The fix is well documented.