1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Cruise Control install

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by abeagler, Jul 25, 2008.

1. abeagler

abeagler New Member

I finally ordered and installed the cruise control package from metrotpn, as suggested by people here. Just wanted to post here that I love it. I've struggled for the two years I've had the car to figure out how to maintain a steady highway speed while also getting good economy, and for some reason never could pull it off. The cruise control has made it a breeze. Thanks for the direction, folks!

FWIW, I got it at the $151 price, then paid my mechanic to install it. He charged two hours labor, based on various online descriptions of install time.

Colin

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Good to hear. Just make sure that the brake lights come on with the slightest press of the brake pedal. That indicates that the switch is adjusted correctly.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is this the standard Toyota cruise control or something different?

Bob Wilson

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It sounds like the Toyota - at least that's the same price Metro Toyota charged me for that kit (08501-47801). Includes a replacement brake pedal switch (DPST version - mates with the existing harness connector which already includes the second circuit) and replacement steering wheel containing the cruise stalk (mates with the existing harness, activates existing functionality in the HV ECU, and lights the existing CRUISE light in the combination meter). Could hardly be a simpler install.

I found that a crow's foot wrench on an extension loosened and tightened the brake pedal switch lock nut without any of the drastic measures elsewhere reported....

-Chap

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    So what are you going to do with the retired steering wheel? They used to show up on ebay after owners did the DIY thing.

Makes a fair photo prop.

6. abeagler

abeagler New Member

I have a four year old son who loves to use the old steering wheel to pretend he's driving :)

7. Shubin Andrey

Shubin Andrey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hey,

Just wonder how cruise function is activated if there is no indicator (CRUISE lamp, bulb) on the combination meter (odo display). Is anybody have cruise function work without CRUISE lamp ?

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Shubin,

North American Prius have the CRUISE indicator within the combination meter. So if your car doesn't have that, you are probably on your own and will need to break new ground to find out whether your car will support CRUISE functionality or not.

Do you have access to the repair manuals? If so you will note that the cruise control switch consists of a series of resistors. A brake pedal switch is also needed.

Before incurring the expense associated with buying the correct parts to retrofit CRUISE to your car, I suggest that you breadboard up the equivalent of the cruise control switch (using the correct value resistors) and the brake switch. This will allow you to confirm whether your car will support the cruise control function, before you've invested in the purchase and installation of the correct parts.

9. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi Shubin,

Yes, my Singapore ver. (right-hand drive) works without the CC indicator light. I 've compared the instrument cluster with North American ver., the CRUISE icon is not there. Anyway, it does not affect the CC function, at least in our ver.

P.S: The Australian ver. also do not have it.

10. Shubin Andrey

Shubin Andrey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanx to all. the story:

- my prius comes with no CC lamp, it is right hand but with european letters (australian, singapoure, UK?), i saw american green model and it very close (rear spoler, read brakes is disc not as front).
    - got cruise switch (guys says it very similar to lexus one). cruise switch was installed, brake switch - wasn't. reading of the repair, test - no result. some day i got combination meter from japan prius 2002 G. guys gives me for 2 hours to check. CRUISE was on, but it flashed when car is moving.

the error was:
    1) hand held tester (carman scan II) doesn't see cruise switch turns, but mesuaring resistance - ok. as i know, this tester will never see that...
    2) break switch should be replaced, it got two set of contats, one for CC cancel, one for lights.

so now cruise is working well but with no indicaor about ON or OFF.
    sorry for my bad english.

11. TexomaEV

TexomaEV Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd love to make up a simple dash mounted cruise control button, and replace the brake switch in my Gen1 that didn't come with factory cruise. Are there any schematics/instructions posted anywhere for a simple DIY version, without the need to replace the steering wheel?

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Check the message archives in "Prius Technical Stuff." I remember seeing photos and circuit descriptions where someone did that with their 2001 Prius.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  13. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I did my DIY version similar to this:

Cruise

Another Japanese version but without the CANCEL switch:

Æ’vÆ’Å Æ’EÆ’X_¬•¨

The new Brake Switch has an extra switch to open when the Brake Pedal is pressed and close when it is released.

I did not replace my Brake Switch. Instead, I used a Normally Closed Relay to create the equivalent function.

1 person likes this.
  14. justkyle

justkyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the toyota kit come with the airbag inside of the steering wheel? Just curious.

15. vincent1449p

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi justkyle,

According to those who bought the kit, it does not come with airbag.

Yahoo! Groups

Here is another method that modify existing steering wheel:

2001 Prius Cruise Control -- Intro

For anyone who wants to DIY, please be very careful when handling the air bag.

1 person likes this.
  16. oldnoah

oldnoah Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought the toyota cruise stalk and brake switch. I think that was all I needed. I cut a hole in the back of the steering wheel, and you can't tell that it was modified unless you look carefully in between the steering wheel and the dashboard.

Wish I'd thought of the relay from the brake switch thing though, it would have saved me some money. But I do like the "factory" look of the stalk though.

17. TexomaEV

TexomaEV Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    D
    Do you remember the part number of the stalk, this sounds like an easy way to add cruise.

18. bobofky

bobofky Member

In the early days of Prius, an electronics firm in Florida, don't remember the name, had a number of additions for the Prius. One of them was a remote controlled Cruise Control. The installation was very simple. The cruise control was a box with wires that clipped on the computer. The box rested above the kick board on the right side of the front passenger compartment. The control was a remote smaller than the door lock control. You could place it anywhere. I had it on my first Prius. When the car wrecked I did not remove it thinking that I could get another for my next Prius, but the company no longer made them so I had to go with the conventional Crusie Control. I have sure regretted not removing the remote cruise control.

19. dswi

dswi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would love to put Cruise on mine that I just bought...Could I get it from a junkyard or do I have to go to the Stealership?
    Discussion of the air bag slightly concerns me (never had one blow up on me and don't want to) Never really messed with anything around an air bag though...
    I feel sure I have the mechanical/electrical aptitude to do the job though....Brake switch and steering wheel...sounds easy for DIY.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, metrotpn is a Toyota dealership, but at that price I don't see how to call them a "stealership".
    A couple clicks and everything you need shows up at your door in a box. Price at a recycler might be somewhat less but what's your time worth to go hunting it down? (This may be less of an issue now that everybody's online; maybe forum member freidawg has something at Adopt-a-Part.)

There will be instructions on how to handle the AB safely - just be sure to follow them. They include disconnecting the 12V battery so many minutes in advance to make sure the power supply capacitors are discharged, and avoiding static discharge near the squib connector (it is made with a shorting contact that is supposed to safe it as soon as you've separated the connectors; they really aren't leaving much to luck) and just be sure that wherever you set it down, it's with the soft side up. That way if there's any way it even could go off despite the other precautions, it would just be an airbag going off, and not a steel airbag case launching itself into flight. And of course don't set anything else on top of it that you wouldn't want flying at you.

-Chap