1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 HV Battery Dead. Could bad 12v battery be to blame?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by craphoot, May 22, 2013.

1. craphoot

craphoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sorry, if I make any forum faux pas. I couldn't find a forum for Gen 1 Prius. Also, I am not very technical with cars, so sorry if I state something incorrectly....

I live in NYC, so I only drive my car once a month or so to visit family. A few years ago my 12v Battery stopped working in my car. I assume age and just moving my car from one side to the other every morning contributed to this. I got the battery replaced at my local Toyota dealership in Jan 2012.

In early March of this year my 12v battery died again. I jump started my car every morning (with a portable battery pack) until I was ready to drive it a distance a few weeks later. I got about 2 miles and then my check engine light came on as well as my Hybrid System Warning Light.

I turned around and went home. I drove the car a few miles here and there without incident with the lights on. After a few weeks of not driving (aside from moving the car across the street each morning) my 12v battery died again. Once I jump started my car, the Hybrid System Warning Light didn't come back on.

Finally, this weekend I decided to drive the car to my dealership on Long Island to see if there was a problem with the 12v battery. About 10 miles into my trip the Hybrid System Warning Light came back on. 40 miles into my trip my car stopped accelerating and I had to pull over to the side of the highway. I turned the car off and then turned it back on and was able to drive the final 5 miles to the dealership.

They told me at the toyota dealership that my HV battery is dead. I got the following error codes:

P3006- Battery Levels are unusually different
    P3011- Battery Block 1 becomes weak
    P3014- Battery Block 4 becomes weak

I mention the back story about my 12v battery dying, because I have read (here?) that a bad 12v battery can trigger false error codes for the HV Battery. Could false error codes lead to my car losing acceleration though? Seems unlikely, but I know nothing about these things.

I was quoted $3000 to replace the HV battery. I am not sure that it is worth it since I rarely drive anyway. My car is cosmetically in poor condition (dents from being sideswiped while parks, paint chipping, bumper smashed by falling tree during Hurricane Sandy, power locks no longer work.)

Any idea how much a 2001 Prius without a working HV battery with 94k miles on it is worth?

Sorry for the long post. And sorry for posting this in the Gen 2 forum. If a Gen 1 forum exists, please move this for me, mods. Thanks!

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    With a bad 12V auxiliary battery there can be little confidence in anything the rest of the system is doing or not doing. The way to prevent the 12V from going bad while being parked for long periods is to install a battery minder, maybe a solar powered trickle charger if it's parked outside.

Still, it seems reasonable the HV battery may also be bad at this point. After running a good 12V battery you can view the charging and discharging of the HV to see if it is fluctuating quickly from one extreme to the other in short periods. Also, if the engine does not shut down when stopped that would be a sign of having to constantly charge.

For the value look it up in Kelly Blue Book considering the cosmetic condition and miles and subtract the cost of HV battery replacement once you have determined it is.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It sounds like you don't have a place to work on the car. Moving it across the street every other day suggests no garage or work area. This pretty well means you are limited to dealer or an independent mechanic. You might want to call these folks and see if they have anyone to recommend:
    Auto Careers Development Center - Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Repair Training

An independent shop could handle installing a rebuilt traction battery, say from ReInVolt, for about $2,000-2,500. A failing traction battery tends to run hot. If you hear the traction battery fan running, it pretty well confirms their diagnosis.

Let me suggest reading the sticky on who should own one of these Prius. My thinking is this car needs to find a new home and you might look at the 'Prius c' as a replacement.

New, under warranty, you'll have a car with much improved technology. But given how little you use the car, you might look at non-hybrid, affordable cars. I don't say this lightly but even a Prius c is going to run about $20,000. You know your own situation better than me but an ordinary car might meet your needs and the lower MPG for small, annual miles, might be a better solution.

Older cars replace predictable loan payments and warranty with reduced reliability and unplanned maintenance. It can be a good solution for those who can do self-maintenance or at least diagnosis.

Bob Wilson

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is likely that the traction battery failed. Get rid of the Prius, and just rent a car once a month or whenever you need a vehicle.

5. Brad H

Brad H New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One

You have two issues. One: the 12v battery, and Two: the traction battery with those two cells especially. If you are having difficulty finding the 12 volt battery, you can temporarily get a used regular car battery at most car garages, and with jumpers; hook both batteries together in parallel. Just like if you were doing a car jump started. Leave the battery in the trunk, and as long as you don't drive like a wild man, the regular 12 volt battery will not move around. Again, this is temporary, until you get the normal 12 volt battery for the Prius.
    If you are on a budget and have some time on your hands, and you are somewhat mechanically and electrically inclined, you can take the traction battery out, removed the two bad celled, and replace them with good ones. You have to make sure they are the Gen I's, or make sure that you had not had work history already done on the car, and the battery pack already has Gen II batteries, or Gen III, which can happen as these Gen I Prius's.....Pria....hmmm? get older. There's a smattering of web sites, blogs, and YouTube videos to check out about the change out.
    In fact I just changed mine out last night, but I bought a used, and somewhat unknown (although it was in a Prius about 12 months ago and ran fine and the owner kept the battery pack charged, and the voltages were good) my Prius would not start up at all, after the install. In fact that is why I'm here on the Prius chat right now, and saw your post and decided to post! LOL. I think I may have a bad ECU, the electronic control Unit inside the battery pack. I could swap it out with my old one.....maybe....but I digress! Good Luck!
    :)

6. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    bwilson4web likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Electric bicycles have grown up too. They offer extended range yet light enough they can be stored in an apartment.

Bob Wilson

8. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unfortunately, they are illegal in NYC. Its a terrible rule caused by inconsiderate couriers.

9. mlg999

mlg999 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Buy A battery pack and keep it handy, the boot sometimes locks out, altitude effects this mode as does the brakes pressuring whilst you try and start. I use my battery pack once a week and my mountains are more like mounds to your US hills.