1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Impoted Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Dave09, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Dave09

Dave09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all I have had my Prius for 3 years now and love it although I do have some gripes! When its on battery when Im waiting to pull out of a junction it can be very slow until the petrol kick in then off we go! On the symbols on the top display whci tells you if your in Park neutral or drive there is one that says B and I dont know what this is for the user manual didnt come with it either so I am stuck can any one help? Also all the display is in Japanese someone as told me that Toyota have the software to covert this to English does anyone know if thats the case Thanks:)

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Hi dave!

:welcome: to PC

Our neighbor had your early model (with the steering wheel on the 'other side' ) and just sold it to one of my car pool partners. Don't worry about 'B' mode. For all practical purposes, it's nothing more than a way to slow you down a tiney bit ... and if you're going slower than 20, it'll recapture a bit of energy, back to the battery. As for accelerating on the traction battery alone, yes it's slower than the internal combustion engine (ICE). That' because the ice is designed to do most of the work. If you read under the Gen I Prius, you'll find a wealth in info on that model.
    enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd agree with 'hill' above, but I personally wouldn't bother with 'B' unless you're going down a long hill. It's a better way of slowing you down and recapturing more energy but I hardly ever bother with it.

1 person likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is for engine "Brake" and used when descending large hills, say +100 m or more. It means you don't have to apply the brake pedal to say within a safe speed. It also avoids forcing a heavy charge on the traction battery, which tends to warm it up.

We've heard this request before with the NHW10 and there was no option. As for the NHW11 model, there is noting I've found in the maintenance manual.

Perhaps you might post some screen shots of the Japanese displays and ask for help? You may need to make several postings until the system allows you to post images.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  5. Dave09

Dave09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys had a comment from another user on another post that the NHW10 that he says the Dealers wont touch it with a Bargpole! Why is that I know it an older model but mine as been fine so I was a bit suprised by his comments!!

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The NHW10 was a Japan only model. It was never officially exported outside of Japan. As such, UK Toyota dealers won't have any manuals or technical information about them. The car was almost a test model for Toyota to learn how hybrids worked before making modifications and later releasing the similar looking (but very different mechanically and hybrid wise) NHW11 model around the world.

For further information check out the following link;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_(XW10)

You might want to search for details of companies that provide a HV battery balancing service for the imported NHW10 as this can assist in the long term running of the vehicle. This service is not required on the updated NHW11 model or any Prius since.

Also, you might struggle to get anything more than vague answers about the NHW10 on this forum as this model was a RHD Japan model and never officially imported into the USA. However, there is a wealth of knowledgeable hybrid people on here so you can be sure to get a helpful response.

1 person likes this.