1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Key Programming

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by snappy, Jan 25, 2007.

1. snappy

snappy New Member

The key programming instructions at Coastal Tech (http://www.coastaletech.com/keys.htm) are a good starting point. I've actually successfully programmed one key.

But a second one fails to program.

Here is some background information on my situation:

I bought my car used with only one master key.
    I don't know how many master keys have been programmed for this car.
    I successfully programmed one new master key, so at least 3 master keys have been programmed.
    Another key fails to program, perhaps because I've reached the maximum.

I'd like to try starting over. The instructions at Coastal Tech say:

You can erase all the keys and start over by turning a working
    master key 6 times and then opening and closing the door 7 times.
    Then remove the key and reprogram again.

Has anyone tried this?

The statement "erase all keys" is confusing. If indeed, all keys are erased, would not the user then have zero master keys and be up sh!t creek ;-)

Coastal Tech also says that "You can have up to 4 masters". What happens if you try to program a 5th key? Nothing? Or does one of the previous keys get unprogrammed?

BTW - My e-mail to Coastal Tech went unanswered.

ammdb likes this.
  2. czunit

czunit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I just did it on my 2001. It did NOT clear the master in the cylinder (why would it?) but it did deactivate my old valet key that was worn down. I reprogrammed a new master key and all is well.

Note: When I took it to Toyota they lied to me, said the keys could never be cleared (and the car was "full") and offered to charge me $2,000 for a new immobilizer and key. Or sell me a new car. Lying people.....