1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 : Leaking A/C compresser ?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by snow_sg1, Aug 10, 2023.

1. snow_sg1

snow_sg1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I've replaced my A/C condenser last month and got the system charged with r134a (550g) at my local garage. It lasted 3 weeks. I came back and said that the service valve were leaking, replaced them and charged it again, this time with 450g.

They said their no leak in the system as it held vacuum plus the did a leak test with azote.

I told them I have a puddle under the car right side were the A/C compressor is.

I decided to take a look myself and remove the engine cover, there is green fluid leaking from the compressor.

I confronted them and the only do a "visual check" for leak ... Well, they're useless.

So, couple of questions

Can I fix this compressor ?

I've got another A/C compressor in my other gen 1 (September 2000) that I'm going to sell, but A/C didn't work for years either (since 09) the previous owner told me. I don't know if it's good, the system is empty probably from a leaking condenser. Should I try it ?

If I need a new one, what do you recommend ? I'm in France and the compressor is 2355€ ! with 10% rebate at my local Toyota dealer. Way too expensive

The car has a brand new HV battery from Toyota (2167€) that I installed myself and a brand new radiator condenser unit. (455€)

I'm getting tight on budget. I don't trust rebuild compressor, should I ?

Thanks !

IMG20230808172844.jpg IMG20230808172855.jpg IMG20230808172905.jpg IMG20230808173119.jpg IMG20230808173141.jpg

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is a belt drive compressor just like my Corolla when they act up they usually lock up get very hard to turn things like that generally start making a noise before they go completely bad The green on the bottom if you look closely isn't there a little blow off valve screwed in to the compressor If you put too much gas in it the compressor will blow it out of that hole until it satisfied and the spring or whatever in that little valve seats is not being blown off of its seat The electric compressor has the same thing in it If you put too much gas in it and it has the dye in it which is the green you're seeing it's actually yellow or should be I thought. It will blow out too If I charge up my electric compressor '09 Prius right now and I put too much gas in it just a little bit too much it will blow out that valve on the bottom hitting the plastic under tray and then if a little bit too much more goes in the compressor will start stuttering like it's going to blow up or stop running and if I open the high side hose and let a little bit blow off I can hear the compressor being satisfied with the relief of that excess gas and it starts to spin back like it's supposed to you can see it in the sight glass and hear it. Mile nine only makes about 33 34 PSI on the low side when it's ice cold not the normal 40 that a belt compressor will generally generate.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Here in the US I can get those around compressors like the showing on your car with the belt on it The ones on my older Camrys and Corollas I have a pile of them here from cars that I've taken out of service over the years that all worked they're almost all interchangeable If you look at them carefully just a thought you may be able to get one very reasonable from somewhere else and you have one maybe worth trying so then this last time that you had it filled with the 450 or whatever . Did it completely leak out again?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think you're going to see a puddle of R134a under a leaky compressor, at least not if it's warmer than minus 26 ℃ (brrr) where you are. Above that temp, the stuff is going to waft away, not drip. (Atmospheric pressure's about 101 kPa.)

ronlewis likes this.
  5. snow_sg1

snow_sg1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

So you think it is not leaking, more of an overflow ?

The compressor is easy to turn and the clutch is fine.

Toyota called for 450+-50g of r134a. First time they put in 550g and the second time 450g.

I think the puddle I'm seeing is not r134a but more compressor oil (nd-oil 8/pag 46) as it is the only green fluid there is is the car. The puddle started right after the A/C was charged.

At the moment the A/C is working but is not as cold as it used to be I think.

Thanks

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Generally the green yellow that you're seeing is the dye that is in refrigerant and possibly in the oil that you're using so that you can see it with a black light after you fill the system then you run it if it's dark enough in the shop or you turn the lights off you can turn a black light on and then you can see yellow fluorescent dye spraying around or what have you and to check for an evaporator leak You let it run until water starts dripping out of the hole under the car but a good little bit drip down there and then put your black light on the puddle If it lights up or like a Christmas tree or like a green Christmas tree you know you've got refrigerant leaking into the evap case.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I will look on the two compressors I have here in the morning I believe I thought I saw on one of the electric ones it had a blow off valve that if it got overheated or whatever the thing would melt but the gas out what have you or it blows off by overfilling too much pressure on the high side it'll make a funny noise when it's blowing off it sounds kind of terrible and then you'll see some green yellow color right under the compressor where this happened I did this once in my '09 the compressor actually started to lock up and slow down wow this was happening I was opening the high side with my Schrader tool and letting pressure out and as I was letting the pressure out the compressor started to speed back up or not labor while it was pumping and the low side was seeming to stabilize it about 30 lb seem to be making good cold and I left it alone. Then I use super clean and what not to clean under the compressor and wash all the green and mass out. And I watched it for a few weeks you know just looking under the hood every so often The cold is like 46° air coming out the vent so I think that's good for the southeast United States and I just let it rip.

8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Overpressure safety valve on bottom mid compressor leaking out all you nd11 oil. Need new safety valve and nd11. Do not use til fixed

ronlewis likes this.
  9. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I second the rebuilt compressor - these cars have small compressors that are pretty generic. And simple to put on.