1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 outside temp way off

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Rastermon, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Rastermon

Rastermon New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Starting this past summer, I noticed my outside temp reading about 10 degrees warmer than the true temp. If it was 85, my car would show 95. I thought nothing of it, and now in the winter, when its 35 or 40 degrees in the am, I start my car and it reads outside temp 88 or 95 or some crazy number.
    Is this something I should be concerned about? Car still runs fine, I bought it used in March 2009. What might make it read so clearly wrong temps? Thanks

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Radiator block is my first thought. However, the resistance of the sensor decreases with higher temperatures. You may have a short or corrosion short at a connector.

Bob Wilson

3. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I agree with Bob completely. While a grille block will affect the temperature to a certain degree, I don't think it would vary by that much. Make sure that the sensor has not fallen off, maybe its somehow worked loose, and is now close to the transmission or the invertor. I believe it is on the driver's side of the under hood area, near the headlight. Mine has an orange sticker on the top. A short is possible, but I think it would fluctuate more wildly, but certainly a possibility.

4. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My temperature sensor was bent in and touching the inverter rad, giving an off temp too. I just bent it out again but a more permanent fix would be to mount it in the hole for the tow loop on the right side of the grille.

My grille block used to be a problem but I cut a section out near the sensor and now it reads pretty well. Better when moving though.