1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius Battery solution

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by jtmcculloch, Mar 17, 2010.

1. jtmcculloch

jtmcculloch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    My wife was having a problem with the 2001 Prius losing power then shutting down when in heavy stop & go traffic. The error lights would light up on the display and after a few stalls it would not restart. After checking it out I found the 12V battery was bad.

Of course I could not find a battery locally except thru the dealer so here is what I did.

I went to AutoZone & got a DuraLast Gold 51R battery, a new Negative battery Cable and a Lynx universal Lead-Free Terminal kit to replace the Positive cable end. This battery is longer than the stock battery so I had to remove the battery bracket, install a 10" 2x4 under the battery, install battery with new negitive cable and Positive cable end. After that I made a new battery holder out of 1" wide steel bar stock. Now I have an 8 year battery that is more powerful, will last longer and is easy to find. I still love my 51mpg 2001 Prius with only 94,000 miles.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Thanks, new PC poster! If your new positive terminal is uninsulated, there might be a small risk of it somehow making contact with the new steel hold-down. But I worry perhaps too much about things like that...