1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius "Check Engine" light and possibly broken fuel gauge

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by pm1902, Jun 7, 2011.

1. pm1902

pm1902 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm having a problem with my Prius. The "Check Engine" light is on and the fuel gauge refuses to change.

I drove about 300km last week and the fuel gauge stayed at 80% the entire time. When I went to turn on the car the next day, the gauge was still at 80% but now the "Check Engine" light was on.

I'm pretty sure I tightened the fuel cap before I set off, but maybe I didn't. I've unscrwed the cap and put it back on (making sure it was tight) last week and have driven it about 10 times since then. The fuel gauge still hasn't moved and the light is still on.

I refueled the car yesterday, since I'd driven about 400km and the gauge hadn't moved thinking that might reset the gauge and finally turn the light off. The car only took 9L of gas before it decided it was full. I know the Prius gets good mileage, but 2.3L/100km is a little silly. When I started the car up again the fuel gauge still hasn't moved and the check engine light is still on.

I'm not sure what to do. Is there anything else I can try or should I just take it to a dealer?

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

2. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Not sure if it is the problem or not. But I know the fuel gauges have to be calibrated. You don't need a technician to do it. I believe there is some trick to it, just pressing certain buttons in the car. I saw it done once, but can't remember. Just have to make sure the car is on level ground.