1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius DTC Codes P3000, P3006, P3016, C1202, C1259

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by prius2001, Jan 8, 2010.

1. prius2001

prius2001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2001 Prius, 120K miles. Recently the master warning light and hybrid system warning light both came on. No real change in performance until the brake light came on while driving approx 50mph and the engine seemed to rev. I was still able to drive at speed but pulled over, restarted car and brake light (but not other warning lights) cleared. Took to the dealer and diagnostics came up with codes P3000, P3006, P3016, C1202, and C1259. They sound uncertain of what the exact problem is but state multiple codes point to the hybrid battery, estimate $3500 to replace. Anyone have any insight into all of these codes, the possible interpretations, and whether getting this repair work done is worth it. The car has otherwise been running fine and the body/interior is in good shape. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  2. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen 1 Trouble Codes

P3000 - HV Battery Malfunction
    P3006 - Battery State of Charge Uneven
    P3016 - Battery Block #6 weak
    C1202 - Brake fluid low, or open circuit in brake fluid level warning switch circuit
    C1259 - Malfunction in regenerative of HV ECU

The root cause probably is a failed traction battery. P3000 (from the HV ECU) usually indicates that the Battery ECU is reporting a code, so it really just means that you should look at P3006 and P3016. C1259 is the Brake Control ECU reporting that the HV ECU said that it had a problem with regen.

The only one that doesn't fit is C1202. It could just be a coincidence, but it might indicate measurement errors.

I would, first of all, check that the 12V aux battery is in good condition. If the 12V system voltage is low, which can be caused by trying to charge a damaged 12V battery, it can play havoc with all sorts of other voltage measurements on the car.

The 2006-2009 service manual I have says to check each battery block against its neighbouring block and if all of the voltage differences are more than 0.3V, to replace the battery ECU. Unfortunately that's nearly as involved as replacing the battery itself as it's in the same case and connects to each pair of battery modules (to measure the block voltages I mentioned above).

Art's Automotive put together a 'predictive battery failure analysis' page which mentions the steps to confirm a P3006 code. If you're interested in how to replace the traction battery - or get at the battery ECU - go here.

2 people like this.
  3. prius2001

prius2001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the dealer (Fordham Toyota, Bronx, NY) to reduce the price to $2699 + tax for hybrid battery + install after going through toyota customer service. Conicelli Toyota of Springfield, PA offered $1954 for the battery plus $480 for the labor. Unfortunately, Fordham will not match. On another thread in the forum a rebuild (Re-InVolt Technologies, North Carolina (Taylor Automotive) was recommended that uses Gen II cells in the Gen I casing. The price is $1475 or $1375 if you bid on their Ebay site, plus estimated $200-250 for round trip shipping (they ask for your Gen I battery pack). They estimate 4 hour repair and even offered to help find a garage in my area that can do the work (Taylor charges $282 if done there) Do you have any experience with this? Thanks.

4. prius2001

prius2001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An update:
    I had the battery replaced last year by a shop in Mahopac, NY. I initially contacted Re-Involt, who were able to find the shop in Mahopac willing to install the Re-Involt battery for cheap. Rather than install the Re-Involt battery outright, the shop owner suggested he run his own diagnostics to confirm the battery malfunction (which was confirmed), then that he test individual cells in an attempt to save money. After some confusion over the state of the cells, he found that almost all were bad and wound up replacing all of them with Gen II cells - effectively doing the rebuild himself. The battery repair cost about $1700, plus an additional charge for replacing a loose wire, plus the diagnostic fee of approx $200 (I can look up the specifics if anyone's interested). Of course Re-Involt was not so happy about losing business, but they
    were very courteous and professional in their interactions with me.
    The Mahopac shop guaranteed the work for 1 year, and predicted the Gen II cells should outlast the life of the car. It's been running well so far, about 11,000 miles later.