1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius Issues

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jbondman871, Jul 15, 2010.

1. jbondman871

jbondman871 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a 2001 Prius with 150k on it. It has been giving me the triangle warning light and the car ! warning light. I have read through some other threads and tried solutions that worked for others.

I can start the car and drive it, but sometimes when I press the accelerator the gas engine just dies and will not kick back in, unless I stop, turn off the car and restart it. (Issue seems to occur more in hot weather, could be a coincidence) When I start it the engine will run rough and shutter for less than a min, and then run normally.

The codes that I had pulled were P0300, P0301, P0302, and P0171. Guy at autozone suggested changing out the spark plugs for the misfire codes, and if that didn't work to replace the O2 sensor that comes before the catalytic converter.

I have replaced the auxiliary battery, cleaned the throttle body and plate, cleaned the MAF sensor, and put in a new air filter. I am trying to get advise on what to do next.

1 person likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that you should replace the spark plugs now. Buy the correct NGK or Denso iridium spark plugs as listed in your owner's manual.

DTC P0171 means that the system is running lean. Possible problem areas include a leak in the air induction system downstream from the mass air flow sensor (allowing unmetered air to enter the system), a faulty MAF sensor, the engine coolant temp sensor, fuel line pressure, a leak in the exhaust system, the upstream O2 sensor, and the PCV valve and connections.

Good luck.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looking at the codes:

• P0300 - Random/Multiple cylinder misfire detected
    • P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire
    • P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfire
    • P0171 - System too Lean
    I would lean more towards the fuel injectors. Check the connectors and clean the injectors. You might swap the injectors left half with right half and see if the P030x codes move with the injectors. The ambiguity group from Vol 1, pp DI-67, P030x:

• engine wire open or short
    • connector
    • vacuum hose
    • ignition system
    • injector
    • fuel pressure
    • manifold pressure sensor
    • engine coolant sensor
    • compression pressure
    • valve clearance
    • valve timing
    • ECM
    • PCV piping
    Then looking at P0171, DI-62:

• air induction
    • injector blockage
    • mass air flow
    • engine coolant temp. sensor
    • fuel pressure
    • gas leakage on exhaust (??)
    • open or short in heated O{2} sensor 1
    • heated O{2} failure
    • PCV piping
    There might also be a leak in the emissions system connected to the manifold letting in air. A stretch, intake manifold leaks are notorious for causing lean mixtures. Rodent damage can not be ruled out.

Bob Wilson

4. jbondman871

jbondman871 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I hope to have chance today to change out the spark plugs.

Also I forgot to put it in the earlier post, the issue has caused a drop in my MPG (I'm getting about 10 MPG less than I was).

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recommend that you carefully inspect the spark igniters while you are replacing the spark plugs, especially the igniters for cyls 1 and 2 (#1 is closest to the passenger side of the car.) Replace the igniters if the body is damaged in any way, or if you see corrosion on the electrical contacts.

If you see rust on the spark plug shell, then you'll know that water had entered the spark plug well which caused the spark voltage to leak to ground, hence resulting in misfire.

Also note that the wiring harness connector which attaches to the igniter terminals has a plastic lock that snaps into place. Make sure that lock is secure when you reinstall the connector, especially when working on cyl 4 where the wiring harness is very short.

6. jbondman871

jbondman871 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ok finally able to get back on here. I have changed the spark plugs, and I am still having the same issue.

I checked the igniters, which all looked good, and made sure all the connections were good with all the wiring harnesses when I hooked them back up.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It sounds like a vacuum leak or hose and/or a leaking intake manifold. The "2003 Toyota Repair Manual", RM957U2, sketch on pp. EC-3 shows two lines feeding after the throttle plate:

• VSV for EVAP - a hose that comes from the charcoal canister.
    • VSG for HCAC - a hose that provides vacuum to actuate the hydrocarbon converter.
    Pages EC-7 to EC-12 cover the Toyota procedure that uses a vacuum pressure gauge and engine tests. But there are other approaches for testing vacuum lines.

It will probably throw some other codes but it looks like you could pull the air cleaner housing to access where these hoses come in. You might be able to block the 'VSV for EVAP' hose and see if the symptom goes away. If they remain, reconnect and clear the codes.

The "VSG for HCAC" is a special case because it controls a valve in the exhaust to capture startup hydrocarbons. It this system has a fault, the pressure sensor for HCAC should throw a code. Worse, if the valve remains closed, the car will have 'a block' in the exhaust, another bad thing. Still, sensors can fail and there may be a leak.

I would first jack up the car and see if the HCAC can be 'wired open' before trying a vacuum block at the throttle assembly to check for a leak.

Another approach is to use a vaccum pump, auto stores sell a hand-operated one, and see if the hoses with the car off, pull and hold a vacuum. A leak should be evident.

A hard problem would be detecting an intake manifold leak at the gasket. Regardless, you might want to review this general article about intake vacuum leaks:
    Engine Vacuum Leaks

Bob Wilson

8. jbondman871

jbondman871 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ok, what and where are the pages you are referring too? EC-3, EC-7 to EC-12

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry, it is Volume 2, "2003 Toyota Repair Manual", RM857U2 which covers repair procedures.

It is dreadfully hot out at 2:45 in the afternoon, +95F. When it gets a little cooler and I can put the car in some shade, I'll go take some photos of the area and use my hand vacuum pump to test the two lines. This will give you an idea of how to check the static pressures.

Bob Wilson

10. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    correct me if im wrong, but if you're getting a misfire, shouldn't you replace the coils?

11. jbondman871

jbondman871 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hey Bob have you had a chance yet to take those pictures? I know you must be busy I'm just checking.

Ronson I do not know that's why I am asking for eveyone's help.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not yet but we caught some cooler weather (and rain.) I'll try again tonight.

Bob Wilson

13. jbondman871

jbondman871 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    *update*

I took it to my mechanic, he checked it out and has said that the throttle body is bad and that it is only opening 70%. A new one from Toyota is about $800, so we are trying to find a used one somewhere, which is tough because there are not many hybrids in my area to begin with much less in the junk yard.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Owch!

Check with Champion Toyota, they may have the part for a better price. Also, check the Ebay salvage sellers. Send them a PM and they may have one and you can 'do a deal.' It probably works better if you can phone them vs. using Ebay e-mail . . . if you catch my drift.

Good Prius friend Hobbit snarfed the one known bad NHW11 throttle body and did some forensics. I don't have a link handy but it might give you a clue and alternate approach.

BTW, I'm interested in the broken part. Send me a PM if it comes available.

Bob Wilson

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    www.car-part.com now has a number of used throttle bodies for NHW11. In the $200 range, with some claiming tested good function.

16. jbondman871

jbondman871 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Haven't had a chance to update in a while. But we did find a used throttle body to use, but were still having issues. So we took it to dealership and they said nothing was wrong except it was out of gas. We told them no the tank is full, and one of the mechanics at the dealership said they have been replacing the gas tanks on a lot of the Gen 1s, because the bladder in the gas tank wears out over time. So after replacing the gas tank it has been running great for the past 5 or 6 months.

17. sabercat

sabercat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bladder??, is that for no splashing/sloshing around?

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's to cut down on fuel vapor pollution. I used to wonder how big a deal that could really be - how much fuel vapor really escapes when you fill up - until I thought it through again and saw that every time you pump 10 gallons of fuel into a typical fuel tank, you're pumping 10 gallons of vapor-saturated air out. So it really is pretty significant. In a Gen 1 Prius, you're just expanding the bladder inside the tank, and forcing out the clean air from the space between the bladder and the tank.

-Chap