1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius - Main Battery correct name?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by woodrow, Dec 7, 2008.

1. woodrow

woodrow New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hello all,
    I'm going to be test driving a used 2001 Prius that I'm thinking about purchasing. One of the seller's comments in the sales ad states "new lithium batteries and ECU replaced at 99K miles". - The car for sale currently has 103k miles.

Is this the main "expensive" hybrid battery I keep seeing threads on? The seller claims to have all service records...what should I be looking for on the copy of the receipts? - Is there a specific part number or description of the main hybrid battery?

I just want to make sure that the main hybrid battery was replaced and that the seller is not referring to another battery in the car. - Sorry newbie here.

Thanks in advance!

2. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The main 200+ volt traction battery is a Nickel metal Hydride (NiMH) battery. The 12 volt starting battery is a lead acid battery. There are no lithium batteries in the Prius except in the keyfobs as delivered by Toyota.

3. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    DireStraights71 is correct.