1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius Obd Code 3191 - Ecm Replacement Questions

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by stoyan79, Sep 26, 2008.

1. stoyan79

stoyan79 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I just got a 2001 Prius and it runs good, however once left overnight it dies in few seconds after started. Then I get the check engine light, and 3 icons on the LCD screen - PS, Main Battery, Car with Question Mark.

There is only one OBD code - 3191.

I read a lot on the Internet and decided it has to be the ECM. I ordered a used ECM from eBay and I have the following question:

I can replace the ECM myself, but do I need to bring the car to the dealership to have the new ECM flashed, or is it going to run just fine once I replace it?

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It could also be the throttle body or the fuel pump relay, keep
    that in mind... a point-diagnosis before starting to swap parts
    might be prudent.
    _H*

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P3191 can be caused by engine oil viscosity greater than 5W-30 or overfilled engine oil level. It can also be caused by inadequate fuel line pressure, as well as tune-up issues like worn spark plugs or a dirty throttle body and throttle plate.

Given that you have already committed to buying a replacement ECM, I hope that you bought the correct part number: 89661-47054. A prior version ECM will not help to address this problem.

The reason that it is necessary to replace the ECM is because it is not possible to reflash the operating system within. Hence, all that you have to do is to install the correct version ECM.

5. mikel 52

mikel 52 Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    My 2002 has done that a couple times and a good cleaning of the throttle body takes care of it.

Mike