1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius P3030 P3009 Transmission issue

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by colonel570, Nov 2, 2010.

1. colonel570

colonel570 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Could a bad transmission cause error code P3030 and P3009?

This car has no other symptoms other than the Mil light and the check engine light.

I have some other posts regarding this same issue, The toyota dealer seems to have no clue whats wrong with the car and they have been working on it for 4 months. Hence why I havent posted in a while.

We are sure its not the battery or sensing wires.
    We are sure its not the HV ECU or the Battery ECU.
    All were tested on another car and worked correctly.

It seems like the Transmission is the only thing left that it could be, but who knows. Has anyone experienced something similar??

Also this car has aftermarket rims 15 inch and the tires are 195 70 15. Could this cause any issues?

Thanks

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You probably know that DTC P3030 is supposed to mean a broken traction battery sense wire. How did you confirm that each wire is sound? Did you use an ohmmeter to measure each wire?

P3009 indicates a ground fault which could be caused by any component in contact with high voltage including the transaxle.

The incorrect tire size would not provoke these particular issues.

If the car does not demonstrate driveability issues, then I suppose you could just drive it "as-is", until something else happens.

3. jk450

jk450 New Member

P3030: I don't see how it could.

P3009: Yes, happens often.

They have probably been letting it sit. You could assemble the car by hand in less time.

Given that the folks at your particular dealership seem to be lost on this issue, it's hard to know if the results of their testing are relevant. You might want to keep that in mind.

Which code sets first? How quickly does each code return? Are the codes intermittent? Has the dealership carried out any insulation testing on the system? These are starting points.

None that relate to your codes.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You're about 60 miles away from Taylor Automotive in Sanford NC, home of Re-InVolt. You might get a second opinion if the car could be driven there. Sometimes, a second set of independent eyes can see a problem from a new perspective.

Bob Wilson

5. colonel570

colonel570 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The battery buss bar and sensing wires were just replaced by the dealer, again. (about a month ago)

6. colonel570

colonel570 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

It has been sitting.

They tested the wires from the battery to the inverter.

I think P3030 is the first code, and they come back as soon as you start the car.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Interesting, one of the Japanese owners reported a problem with corroded pins in the sense wire plug and connector. But replacing them twice . . . this really doesn't sound right.

Bob Wilson