1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 prius service mode affects mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by statultra, Jun 16, 2006.

1. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you know those secret buttons in the display, audio thing to get into service mode, well i noticed when i leave it in service mode and drive the vehicle my gas mileage goes up sky high, resulting in 99 mpg for well forever.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So apparently it doesn't measure fuel flow when it's in the service mode? Or perhaps the software just doesn't compute mileage in that mode?

I have had mine in the service (or maintenance) mode a couple of times just to see if I could but I have never driven it that way.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    do not know about the mpg calcs, but we are advised not to drive that way because the drivetrain is not protected against (damaging) overspeed in case you get one front wheel spinning.

Or maybe you were trying to get unstuck from sand??

4. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this is not the inspection mode as outlined in the manual that turns off the motor TRAC function. This service mode is on the MFD where it checks gateway ecu, navi, etc. I noticed that when its on this function it seemingly reads 99 mpg or i believe more while driving. ( maybe )

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Now I understand. Please excuse the error.

This may be a good hint for the next mpg rally: "99.9 mpg - I win."