1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kurtd, Jul 22, 2005.

1. kurtd

kurtd New Member

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a good tire for my 2001 Prius. I've been told by my local dealer that I should run the Bridgestone tire that came with the vehicle from the factory, but I have concerns on how they wear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kurt D
    Ferrisburg, VT

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) tyres are LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) tyres and have an extremely low tread life. Any tyre with the P175/65R14 spec will work. Try the Michelin Harmony.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the origional Potenza tires are very poor on tread life. BAD on tread life the tires that you should really consider are the OEM's that came on the 2003 Prius which are Dunlop SP10's over twice the tread life of the Bridgestones. I'm looking to get about 35,000 miles easily from the ones on my 2K3 Prius. Most are really hard pressed to get 20-24,000 out of the Bridgestones.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We have been asked this very same question 100's times now. Check the CLASSIC User-Guide for details.

There are definitely better tires available.

The alternates I choose still looked fantastic with 29,000 miles on them when I traded my Classic Prius for a HSD model.

5. kurtd

kurtd New Member

Thanks for your help. Tried searching for my own answer on the site but must have been to vague in my search technique as it gave me way too many posts to look through. Send this post to depths...........